Chapter 43: The Departure
The office felt smaller than it had that morning. The walls, the floors, even the familiar hum of computers and printers seemed to press in as I carried the last box of my belongings down the hallway. Files, personal notes, photos from site visits, the small trinkets I’d collected over the years all reminders of a life I had poured into this company.
As I turned the corner, I heard faint laughter and chatter from the conference room. Curious, I peeked inside and froze.
My team. My people. Every face I had nurtured, every employee I had guided, smiled nervously, holding small cards, banners, and a cake with “Thank You, Nomusa” written in icing.
Team Member 1 (grinning): “Nomusa! We… we wanted to do something for you before you leave. You’ve been more than a boss you’ve been a guide, a mentor… and we’ll never forget what you’ve done for us.”
Team Member 2: “Yeah… we couldn’t let you go without telling you how much we appreciate everything. For real. Happy memories, tough lessons, you’ve shaped all of us.”
My chest tightened. The fight I had endured, the battles with Sandile and Lerato, all the politics, seemed to shrink for a moment. This the loyalty, the respect was what mattered. I stepped in, my voice soft but strong.
Nomusa: “Thank you. Truly… thank you all. I didn’t build this empire alone, and seeing you all… standing here, it reminds me why I fought so hard. You are my legacy.”
I moved forward, taking a deep breath, letting the warmth of genuine gratitude fill the hollow ache in my chest.
But then, from behind, a familiar voice slithered through the air.
Lerato (mocking, sweetly): “Well, well… look at you, Nomusa. Packing up your little empire. Must feel strange, huh? All those years, all that work… and now… you’re just walking away.”
I froze, clutching the box a little tighter. My team’s smiles faltered, sensing the tension shift.
Nomusa: “Lerato. Always punctual for insults, never for responsibility.”
Lerato: “I’m just… observing. You know, watching someone who built a company realize it’s not theirs anymore. Fascinating, really. Bit sad too. Don’t you feel… replaced?”
I stepped closer, my voice low, deliberate, carrying every ounce of authority I still held.
Nomusa: “Replaced? Lerato, you’re an employee. A PR manager. You play at influence, but this company? Its heart, its structure, its very foundation… I built it. And no mockery, no degree, no charm, will ever change that.”
She laughed, sharp, pretending amusement, but I could see the flicker of unease in her eyes.
Lerato: “Bold words for someone who’s leaving. You really think anyone will remember you once you’re gone?”
I set the box down gently, letting my fingers brush over the wood of the hallway railing, grounding myself.
Nomusa: “They will. Not because I asked them to, but because they know what true leadership looks like. You… will fade. But the people I’ve trained, the standards I’ve set, the culture I’ve built they will carry me forward long after this door closes.”
A silence fell. My team looked at me with renewed admiration, their eyes shining. Lerato’s smirk faltered ever so slightly, and I knew she realised the truth: she might control appearances, but she could never command what I had truly built.
I picked up my box again, shoulders squared, my head high.
Nomusa : “You can mock, you can scheme… but you can never erase what was earned here. Never.”
The hallway stretched ahead, and with each step, I felt the weight of battles past, of victories, of mistakes corrected, lift just slightly. I was leaving the office, yes but not the legacy. That would always remain.
Behind me, laughter faded, whispers simmered, and Lerato’s expression turned from amusement to frustration. But it didn’t matter. I had already won where it counted.
Comments
Post a Comment