Chapter 42: The Trial
The morning sun beat down on the partially constructed site, casting long shadows across the steel beams and freshly poured concrete. I stood at the edge of the platform, clipboard in hand, watching Sipho approach. Today was his first real test, and I wasn’t about to let him fail not if I could help it.
Nomusa: “Today, I want to see more than knowledge. I want to see instinct. Mistakes here cost millions. Are you ready?”
Sipho: “Yes, Mrs. Nkosi. I’m ready.”
Nomusa: “Walk this section. Inspect the alignment. Identify any risks. Then tell me how you would fix them. Pretend the client is watching. Failure is not an option.”
Sipho: “The east support beams are off by approximately two centimetres. If left like this, the load distribution will be uneven. I recommend recalibrating the supports, reinforcing the base, and checking adjacent beams for discrepancies.”
Nomusa: “Notice this? Slight looseness. In heavy rain, it could shift. How will you address it?”
Sipho: “I’ll add temporary bracing, tighten all bolts according to the torque specs you’ve outlined, and inspect the surrounding perimeter to ensure uniform stability. Then I’ll run a stress test before proceeding.”
Nomusa: “Good. That’s how you anticipate problems before they become disasters. Now, adjust the concrete pour schedule to account for the reinforcement changes. Explain your reasoning as you go.”
Sipho (recalculating): “The new reinforcement plan means the concrete pour must be delayed by two hours to allow proper curing. I’ve informed the team to adjust workflow accordingly. All adjacent supports are checked.”
Nomusa (quietly approving): He moves with confidence, applying my instructions, correcting minor misalignments in real time. Let them watch let them see.
Lerato (whispering): “He… he’s doing exactly what she said. And better than I expected.”
Sandile (whispering to Lerato): “Nomusa… she’s training him perfectly. Every correction, every lesson… he’s becoming her extension.”
Nomusa: “Stress tests completed. Adjustments logged. Document all changes. Inspect again at four. Zero surprises for the client.”
Sipho: “Thank you, Mrs. Nkosi. I understand. I won’t let you or the company down.”
Nomusa: “Remember this: respect on-site comes from competence, not charm, degrees, or titles. Anticipate problems before they become disasters, and you’ll earn it.”
Lerato (whispering, panicked): “We underestimated her… again.”
Sandile (gritting teeth): “Every move she makes strengthens her legacy… and the next generation she’s moulding.”
Nomusa: I stayed focused, unshaken. Hands-on knowledge and instinct always win, and today Sipho had proven it.
Comments
Post a Comment