Chapter 40: Passing the Torch
The office smelled of polished wood and freshly printed contracts. Today, I was in control. Today, I was passing on everything I had built, on my terms.
When he walked in, he carried himself with quiet confidence, the kind that suggested he was ready to listen and learn. I gestured to the seat across from my desk.
Nomusa: “Sit down. I assume you’ve read the email, but let me be clear you’re not just joining a company. You’re stepping into a legacy. Nkosi Construction didn’t get here by chance, and it won’t survive mediocrity.”
He nodded, taking his seat, and I slid the contract toward him.
Nomusa: “This outlines your role, responsibilities, and limits. Read it carefully. I expect you to uphold every standard I’ve set here. If you can’t do that, walk out now. I don’t have time for excuses.”
He picked up the pen, hands steady, eyes locked on mine.
Nomusa: “Good. Sign it, and we begin. Let’s start with what matters most: the integrity of every project. I want to hear how you would handle a situation where a contractor misreads a blueprint and compromises a foundation. Speak as if you were on site tomorrow.”
Sipho: “I’d first assess the severity of the error, then halt work immediately. I’d review the original plans, correct the deviations, and communicate directly with the team to prevent recurrence. I’d also notify the client if there was potential impact.”
I leaned back, studying him. His answer was measured, practical, and confident but it wasn’t enough.
Nomusa: “Good start, but you’re thinking like someone who learned from textbooks. I want someone who can anticipate disasters before they happen. Tell me how would you prevent this before a contractor even begins?”
He paused, considering, then replied.
Sipho: “I’d implement additional checks at critical points, ensure every team member understands the blueprints, and conduct on-site verification before work progresses. I’d double-check everything against regulations and standards.”
Nomusa: “Better. And if the client pressures you to skip checks to meet a deadline?”
Sipho: “I’d explain the risk clearly and insist on compliance. No shortcut is worth compromising the structure or our reputation.”
I nodded, a faint smile breaking through my usual stern demeanour.
Nomusa: “That’s exactly the mindset I need. You’re not just managing a project; you’re protecting everyone who trusts Nkosi Construction. Every foundation you approve, every wall you inspect that’s your responsibility. Fail, and people could be hurt. Understand?”
Sipho: “I understand completely.”
Nomusa: “Good. We start tomorrow on-site. You’ll shadow me first, and I will not sugarcoat anything. You’ll see firsthand how to handle contractors, clients, and unexpected crises. By the end of this, I expect you to think like me decisive, thorough, and unafraid to make the hard calls.”
Sipho: “I’m ready.”
I handed him a set of current project blueprints.
Nomusa: “Study these tonight. Tomorrow, we walk the site, and I want you to identify every potential problem you see. Don’t overlook anything trust your instincts, but always verify with facts. This is how Nkosi Construction survives.”
As he left my office, I felt the familiar surge of control returning. The board may have underestimated me, and Lerato may have tried to manipulate the narrative but I had ensured the future of this company would be in capable hands, on my terms.
Nomusa (thinking): I’m passing the torch but I’m the one deciding who holds it.
Comments
Post a Comment