Advertisement

Chapter 4: Stars and Secrets

 


My phone buzzed just as I was about to close the spaza for the night. Sandile.

Sandile: “Love… I have a surprise for you. Come to my place tonight?”

I raised an eyebrow. A surprise? At his house? Yoh, this man… I couldn’t help laughing. 

Nomusa: You sure you’re not trying to get yourself into trouble, mfethu?” 

I replied, teasing.

An hour later, I found myself standing in front of his house. It looked normal from the street quiet, unassuming but as I stepped into the backyard, my jaw dropped.

A blanket was spread on the grass, sprinkled with red petals. A bottle of wine, a couple of glasses, popcorn in a bowl… and sitting next to it was a telescope pointing up at the night sky.

I blinked.

Nomusa: “Eish… you are full of surprises, wena. Wait, wait this is… science, yes? Mr. Bricklayer turned astronomer? Interesting combination, mfethu.”

He laughed, that deep laugh I’d come to know so well. 

Sandile: “You could say that. You want the story?”

I nodded, intrigued, sinking down onto the blanket.

He sat beside me, closer than I expected. 


Sandile: “My father… he was an astrophysicist. Raised me alone after my mother… she passed when I was born.” 

His voice softened, almost haunted.

Sandile: “He taught me about stars, galaxies, the universe… he wanted me to follow in his footsteps. But I… I had my own path. I studied building and civil engineering, up to second level. Then he died, and I had to take care of my sister. So, I dropped out. That’s why I live here now his money paid for the house, bond and all.”

I was quiet, letting him speak. There was a weight in his voice, a mix of pride and regret.

Then he pointed to the telescope.

Sandile: “But the stars… they never left me. Here, let me show you how it works.”

I leaned closer as he adjusted the telescope, the cool metal pressing lightly against my hand. 

Nomusa: “So, you really are a scientist at heart, huh?”

 I teased.


Sandile: “Maybe not a full one, but I know enough to share the view.”

He said with a smirk, he guided my hands on the telescope, showing me how to focus, how to find planets, constellations, the Milky Way. My heart raced not just from the proximity, but from the vulnerability in his eyes. He wasn’t just the playful, cocky man I’d met at the spaza. He was… deep. Complex. A man shaped by loss, love, and responsibility.

I looked up at the stars, then back at him. 

Nomusa: “You know, I didn’t expect to see this side of you, mfethu. Bricklayer by day, stargazer by night… interesting combination.”

He laughed softly, leaning closer. 



Sandile: “You get to see both sides now, my love. The one I show the world, and the one only the stars know about.”


After a long pause, Sandile shifted slightly, his eyes soft in the dim light.

Sandile: “Nomusa… tell me about you. I know bits and pieces, but I want the real story. Your dreams… what made you, you?”

I took a deep breath, feeling a lump in my throat. The stars above us seemed to wait for my words.

Nomusa: “You know… I always dreamed of becoming an accountant. I loved numbers, planning, organising… I even imagined myself in a proper office, sharp suit, calculator in hand, making things happen.”

He raised his eyebrows, impressed. 

Sandile: “Really? I can picture that… you, numbers, and sharp suits,  good combo.”

I smiled faintly. 

Nomusa: “Yeah, that was the dream. I finished high school with all A’s, Sandile. I worked hard… thought everything would fall into place.” 

My voice caught a little. 

Nomusa: “But life… it had other plans. My mom had a stroke, and she couldn’t work anymore. We had no money coming in. I had to put my dreams on hold. I opened the spaza to help us survive, using the little savings my mom had from work. It wasn’t what I wanted… but we survived.”



He reached over and brushed a strand of hair from my face. 

Sandile: “Nomusa… yoh, that’s… wow. You sacrificed your dreams for your family? That’s real strength.”

Nomusa: “ Yah that’s life for many of us… dreams sometimes wait. Or they change shape. The spaza kept us afloat, and I kept my mom smiling until the end. I did what I had to do.”

He nodded, eyes serious, but there was pride in them too.

Sandile: “Nomusa… that’s incredible. You’ve been carrying so much on your own… and you did it with your head held high. No wonder you’re… you.”

I looked up at the stars, then back at him. 

Nomusa: “That’s the thing, Sandile… dreams don’t always vanish. They just… wait for the right time. Maybe one day, I’ll get back to accounting. Or maybe I’ll find a new dream altogether. Either way, I won’t stop trying.”

He smiled, squeezing my hand gently. 

Sandile: “And I’ll be here, Nomusa. Watching you, supporting you… maybe even building some of those dreams with you.”

We stayed on the blanket for hours, the telescope forgotten for the moment as we lay side by side, sipping wine and stealing glances at each other. Yoh, there was something electric in the air, a tension that made my heart hammer in my chest every time his hand brushed mine even by accident.

Sandile leaned closer, his face inches from mine.

Sandile: “You know… you’re unbelievable, my love” 

He whispered, voice low and smooth, sending shivers down my spine.

I swallowed hard, trying to steady myself. 

Nomusa: “Unbelievable how?” 


I asked, teasing, though my voice trembled slightly.

He smiled, that confident grin, and then… he kissed me.

It wasn’t a soft, shy kiss. No. It was full of fire, of longing, of something I didn’t know I’d been craving until that moment. His hands moved over my arms, down to my waist, and I felt my body respond in ways I hadn’t expected. Yoh, it was intoxicating.

I almost let myself go, let the moment take over completely, but then I remembered who I was, what I valued. Pulling back slightly, I looked into his eyes.

Nomusa: “Sandile… I have to tell you something.”


His brow furrowed, concern flashing across his face. 

Sandile: “What is it, my love?”

I took a deep breath, heart racing.

Nomusa:  “I… I’m a virgin. I’m waiting until I get married.”

For a second, he just stared at me, then slowly smiled. Not a judgmental smile, not disappointed, but something soft, understanding, and… protective.

Sandile: “You’re serious?” 

He asked gently.

I nodded, biting my lip. 

Nomusa: “Yoh, sthandwa… I don’t do this lightly. I need to wait. I… I hope that’s okay with you.”

His hand found mine again, squeezing it gently.

Sandile: “Love… it’s more than okay. I respect that. I like you too much to rush anything. The stars are patient, and so am I.”

I felt a wave of relief, mixed with excitement. Even with the tension and desire between us, he understood. He wasn’t just a man chasing pleasure he cared, truly.

And in that quiet night, under the Soweto sky, with the telescope forgotten but the universe still stretching above us, I realised… this connection, this spark, was going to be something unforgettable. Something worth waiting for.





Comments