Chapter 39: Picking the Successor
I sat alone in my office, the morning sunlight slanting through the blinds, cutting across stacks of reports and blueprints that had been my life for years. The board’s decision still lingered in my mind, a bitter reminder that experience and loyalty weren’t always enough. Yet, I refused to be sidelined quietly. They wanted me to select my replacement, train them, and leave. I would do it but on my terms.
I spread the resumes across my desk, each one representing a potential successor. Some were promising on paper, degrees and certifications checked neatly, but I didn’t care for that alone. Nkosi Construction wasn’t built on paper. It was built on judgment, intuition, problem-solving, and the ability to act under pressure.
Nomusa (thinking): I will not let someone incompetent or inexperienced take over. If this company is to survive after me, I will ensure the person I choose understands the responsibility, the stakes, and the weight of every decision.
I began shortlisting. Each candidate was scrutinised not just for credentials, but for poise, critical thinking, and integrity. Those who couldn’t answer practical questions about foundation reinforcement, site management, or contractor oversight were eliminated immediately. A degree could not replace experience, but the combination of both? That was what I needed.
By mid-afternoon, I had narrowed the list to five candidates. I scheduled the interviews myself, alone, as I had insisted. No board members, no assistants, no distractions. This was my territory, and I would assert control until the very end.
The first candidate arrived, a young man with impeccable credentials and a smooth confidence that screamed preparation. I didn’t bother with pleasantries.
Nomusa: “Tell me about a time a construction project went wrong under your supervision. How did you handle it?”
He hesitated, fumbling slightly, reciting textbook solutions that sounded impressive but lacked depth.
Nomusa (thinking): This isn’t real. You can talk all you want, but can you make the decisions that save a project before it becomes a disaster?
I moved on to the next candidate, a woman who spoke with more caution but showed clear understanding of site management, safety standards, and contractor coordination. She had experience but lacked confidence in high-pressure situations. I made notes, silently crossing some names off the list.
Hours passed. Each candidate was tested not only on knowledge but on integrity, judgment, and ability to think under pressure. I asked questions only someone who had faced disaster firsthand could answer. I watched expressions, hesitation, the subtle signs of whether they could handle the weight of Nkosi Construction.
By the end of the day, one candidate remained: a man with both credentials and proven field experience. He could articulate technical solutions and manage people, but more importantly, he understood accountability. He had the backbone to make hard decisions without my constant supervision.
Nomusa (thinking): He’s not me. He will never be me. But he’s the only one who might save this company when I am gone. If this is the board’s plan, I will make it succeed but on my terms.
I made a list of training priorities, areas where even the most capable candidate would need my guidance: understanding Nkosi’s processes, the client relationships we had nurtured, and the critical thinking needed to prevent disaster. This wasn’t mentorship it was survival. As I closed my office door, the sense of control returned, tempered by defiance. They may have tried to push me aside, to replace experience with appearances, but I had ensured the legacy I built would not be destroyed by incompetence.
Nomusa (thinking): I may be leaving this role, but I will not leave this company to chance. Whoever walks in after me will understand what it means to carry Nkosi Construction forward. And they will do it my way or not at all.
Comments
Post a Comment