Chapter 38: The Boardroom Verdict
The air in the boardroom felt sharp, almost metallic, as if it could cut. I had been called in without warning. Lerato wasn’t there, and for a moment, I allowed myself a flicker of relief but the absence didn’t make things easier. If anything, it made the tension heavier. Every gaze felt like a weight pressing down on me, measuring me, judging me. The faint hum of the air conditioner seemed deafening, underscoring the silence that hung like a threat. I took a seat when Chairman Zulu motioned, my hands steady on the polished table, my posture calm, though my pulse was hammering beneath my ribs.
Chairman Zulu: “Nomusa, thank you for coming on such short notice. We wanted to speak directly about the company’s future and the direction of leadership.”
I nodded, keeping my voice measured, though inside, I could feel the storm building.
Board Member 1: “We’ve reviewed the recent developments and, frankly, the mistakes that have been happening across several projects. We’re aware that you’ve intervened personally to correct them. For that, we thank you. Truly. Your dedication has prevented serious damage.”
I let a small, controlled sigh escape me. I had done what I had to do what anyone with sense would have done but hearing it acknowledged felt strange coming from them.
Nomusa: “I’ve built this company. I’ve been on the ground, on every site, solving problems before they became disasters. I know this company inside and out.”
Board Member 2: “We do not underestimate you, Nomusa. But… the reality is that as Nkosi Construction grows, we need leadership that checks every box: experience, hands-on skill, and formal education that investors, clients, and even partners will recognize without question.”
My brow furrowed. I had expected many things from them, but this… this was almost absurd.
Nomusa: “You mean someone with a degree. Someone with certificates. But experience… decades of building this company… that doesn’t count?”
Chairman Zulu: “Experience counts, but perception matters as well. You’ve proven your capabilities, Nomusa, but there is a limit to what people will accept without formal credentials. For the future of Nkosi Construction, we need someone whose authority can’t be questioned.”
I felt my jaw tighten. Every tendon in my body seemed to scream, How dare they? How dare they think they can just erase what I’ve built!
Nomusa: “I built this company! Every tender, every contract, every client… it’s my blood, my sweat. You think a certificate can replace that?”
Board Member 1 (sympathetic, calm): “We are not saying your work isn’t valuable. On the contrary, it’s invaluable. That is why we want to offer you a monthly stipend. You will have a position while you transition out, ensuring you’re supported financially. But we need leadership that is unassailable in the eyes of everyone.”
I slammed my hand on the table. The sound echoed like a gunshot, a warning, a defiance I could no longer contain.
Nomusa: “Supported financially? Supported? I didn’t build this company for money I built it to last! You can’t just… erase me. You can’t take what I created and hand it over because someone else has a degree. I will not go quietly. I will fight for this company. I will not be removed!”
Silence fell. Heavy. Even the chairman’s stern features softened slightly, but they didn’t waver. They wanted compliance, and all I gave them was fire.
Chairman Zulu: “Nomusa… we respect you, and we respect what you’ve done. But this is about the company’s survival, about ensuring it thrives in ways that no one will ever question. Please consider our offer seriously.”
Nomusa (thinking): You may think you can remove me, sideline me, underestimate me but I am Nkosi Construction. I’ve been here since the beginning. I will not be replaced so easily. If the future of this company means leaving me out, then you will have to face the consequences.
The boardroom had gone quiet after my outburst. The weight of their decision still pressed on me, but I refused to let it dictate my terms entirely. I had built this company from the ground up, and I would not leave it in hands chosen at random.
Board Member 2: “Nomusa… we understand your concern. But we need someone to step into your role seamlessly. We’d like you to hire the candidate who will succeed you and train them during your transition.”
I paused, letting the words sink in. Their expectation was clear: bend to their plan, groom a replacement chosen from a list I had no control over. And I would not.
Nomusa: “I will help train my replacement but I will shortlist the candidates myself. I will interview them alone. Anyone else involved in selecting who steps into this role, and I will not assist. Understood?”
The board members exchanged glances, some hesitant, some clearly trying to mask frustration.
Chairman Zulu: “Nomusa, this is highly irregular. Usually, the board would participate in selection to ensure transparency.”
Nomusa: “This is not a matter of transparency. This is about protecting the integrity of Nkosi Construction. I will not hand over the keys to the empire I built to someone who is untested or unfit. You want my cooperation? You let me do this my way. Otherwise, I walk. And I make sure the company knows why.”
Board Member 1 (sighing, defeated): “We… we understand. You’ll shortlist the candidates yourself and interview them alone.”
I allowed a small, controlled nod. They had no choice. The company mattered more than their pride or procedures and I would protect it, even if it meant bending rules to my will.
Nomusa (thinking as I left the room): If they want someone to succeed me, they will respect my terms. I will decide who is worthy to carry this legacy forward. No shortcuts. No interference. And they will thank me for it when the dust settles.
Even as the meeting ended, I could feel the tension in the room the unease of men and women realising that experience, authority, and knowledge could not be replaced by procedure alone. I would fight every inch of this transition on my terms, and I would not lose.
Comments
Post a Comment