Chapter 37: Seeds of Doubt
I watched Lerato enter Sandile’s office, moving with that calm, measured confidence that made the rest of us feel smaller simply by existing in the same room. She didn’t rush; she never did. Influence, I had learned, was an art, and she wielded it with patience and precision.
I wasn’t there, of course. But I could feel the shift from across the hall, even before the door closed behind them. Sandile, my Sandile, was tense his shoulders tight, his brows furrowed. I knew that look well; it meant he was thinking, processing, letting doubt creep in where certainty had once ruled.
I imagined her leaning in, brushing a hand lightly over his arm, her voice dropping to that soft, persuasive whisper that always seemed harmless at first:
Lerato (softly, coaxing): “Sandile… about Nomusa…”
I could almost hear the pause in his breath.
Sandile: “What about her?”
I imagined her smile then patient, deliberate, a careful mask of concern. I could almost feel the weight of her words in the room, shaping his thoughts before he even realised.
Lerato: “She’s brilliant, I’ll give her that. But this company… it’s growing faster than ever. The stakes are higher. Investors, clients, even future partners they’ll want to see leadership that’s educated, certified, experienced on paper as well as in practice. Not just intuition and experience.”
And just like that, the seed was planted.
Sandile (frowning): “You mean…?”
Lerato: “I mean… maybe it’s time we consider bringing in someone who has both hands-on knowledge and formal qualifications. Someone who can take on complex decisions and reassure everyone that every risk is covered.”
I could almost see the way he ran a hand over his face, tension tightening every line. I knew that gesture. He was wavering. He wanted to believe, wanted to trust me, but Lerato had learned how to touch the exact points of insecurity.
Lerato: “Nomusa… she’s amazing in the field. But sometimes brilliance without formal education isn’t enough to inspire confidence at higher levels. You know it. And you care about the company, don’t you?”
A flicker of doubt. I could picture it in his eyes the hesitation, the creeping worry that maybe Lerato was right. Maybe the loyalty, the years we had poured into this company together… maybe it wasn’t enough for some people.
Lerato: “I just want what’s best for you… for Nkosi Construction. Don’t let anyone’s loyalty or past achievements cloud your judgment. This isn’t about undermining anyone personally it’s about protecting the empire you’ve built.”
I clenched my fists at the thought. Protecting the empire? Or taking a step closer to erasing me?
Lerato: “Sandile… sometimes experience isn’t enough. Sometimes you need credentials. Sometimes you need proof on paper. Don’t you want every decision you make to be bulletproof?”
And there it was. The doubt, carefully wrapped in concern and logic, settling like smoke in the room. I could almost hear him exhaling slowly, wrestling with loyalty and ambition, with trust and manipulation.
By the time Lerato left, I knew she had won this round. She had carefully insinuated that maybe, just maybe, I wasn’t enough. I wasn’t the safe choice. I wasn’t the unquestionable one. Sandile’s mind, even subconsciously, was starting to see the cracks she had suggested.
And me? I was on the outside, watching it all unfold like a storm approaching the horizon. I could feel the battle lines being drawn quiet, invisible, but lethal. Between loyalty and ambition, trust and manipulation. And Lerato… she was already several moves ahead, patient, calculating, and confident. But I wasn’t finished. Not yet.
Comments
Post a Comment