Advertisement

Chapter 35: Lines Crossed

 



The office had grown unusually quiet after the audit storm. People worked with a kind of strained caution, as if afraid to trigger another collapse. But beneath that silence, another current was beginning to flow.

I noticed it first in the way Lerato lingered.

At meetings, she positioned herself near Sandile, her laughter a little too quick at his jokes, her hand brushing against his arm when she handed him documents. Small gestures, but deliberate testing the limits.

One late afternoon, I walked past the glass conference room and saw them alone. Sandile leaned over some reports, frowning, while Lerato tilted her head, her voice low and playful.

Lerato (smiling): “You work too hard, Sandile. A man like you needs someone who understands his pressure. Someone who can… ease it.”

He gave a small laugh, not outright rejecting her but not encouraging either. The sound cut through me like a blade.

Nomusa (thinking): “So this is where her ambition leads not just in boardrooms, but into my home, my marriage.”

Later that evening, as we sat in the lounge, I studied him closely. He avoided my eyes, his phone lighting up more than usual. A familiar perfume clung faintly to his jacket the same one Lerato wore.

I set down my tea, keeping my voice steady.

Nomusa: “She’s getting bold, you know. Lerato. The way she looks at you. The way she hovers.”

His eyes narrowed, defensive.

Sandile: “You’re imagining things. She’s ambitious, yes, but loyal to the company. Don’t twist it into something it’s not.”

Nomusa: “I don’t have to twist anything. I see it. And so does everyone else.”

He shifted uncomfortably, pouring himself a drink to avoid answering. That silence said more than words ever could.

For the first time, I realised Lerato’s game was no longer just about climbing the corporate ladder it was about claiming a piece of my life.

And Sandile, blinded by her performance, was letting her in.

I looked at him across the room, my jaw tight, my chest heavy.

Nomusa (thinking): “She thinks she’s winning. But I will not let her turn my house into her empire. Not while I still have breath in me.”


It started with whispers.

Sandile’s sudden “late meetings.” Lerato’s car parked outside the office long after everyone had gone home. The way they avoided eye contact when I walked in, too careful, too rehearsed.

At first, I told myself I was imagining it. Stress had sharpened my instincts, made me see ghosts where none existed. But ghosts don’t leave perfume on a collar, or lipstick smudges on a wine glass in the office boardroom.

One evening, Sandile came home later than usual, his tie loosened, his smile forced.

Nomusa: “Late again?”


Sandile (shrugging): “Work doesn’t finish itself. Lerato and I were finalising some proposals.”

His tone was too casual, too smooth.

I didn’t argue. I simply nodded, though my chest burned.

The truth came from others people at the office, their whispers slipping through cracks like smoke.


Whispered secretary voice: “They were at the hotel together. Not once, not twice. More than that. Everyone knows, but no one dares say it to Nomusa.”

My world, once unshakable, tilted. The betrayal wasn’t just in boardrooms now it was in my marriage bed.

Days later, I walked into the office unexpectedly. Lerato’s laughter floated down the corridor, light and intimate. I turned the corner and froze.

There they were. Her hand on his chest. His lips dangerously close to hers. They pulled apart when they saw me, but the guilt on his face told me everything I needed to know.

Silence stretched, heavy and unbearable.

Nomusa (whispering): “So this is what my loyalty buys? My sacrifice? My marriage traded for boardroom gossip and lipstick smiles?”

Sandile opened his mouth, but no excuse came. Lerato stood, smooth and unbothered, her eyes gleaming with quiet triumph.

Lerato (smiling faintly): “Nomusa… it’s not what it looks like.”

Her lie was too polished, too quick.

Nomusa: “Save it. Both of you.”

I turned and walked away, my hands shaking, my heart breaking. But deep inside, something else was forming hard, sharp, unbreakable. This was no longer about business. This was war.




Comments