Advertisement

Chapter 33: The Scandal

 


The whispers started small. Numbers that didn’t add up. Invoices that looked… strange. At first, I thought it was a clerical slip, something that could be cleared with a quick call to finance. But by the third discrepancy, I knew better. Someone was moving money, and my name was being attached to it.

It hit full force at the next executive meeting.

Bongani slid a stack of files across the table. His face was pale, his tone uneasy.

Bongani: “Sandile… there’s a problem. Some funds allocated to the Khumalo project… they’re unaccounted for. Nearly three million rand.”

The room went still. My pulse thundered.

Sandile (sharp, suspicious): “What do you mean, unaccounted for?”

Before Bongani could respond, Lerato placed a manicured hand on the file, her eyes full of practiced concern.

Lerato: “I hate to even say this, but… the documents point to Nomusa’s authorisation codes. Every transfer was signed off under her name.”

Gasps rippled through the room. All eyes turned to me.

Nomusa (furious, rising): “That’s impossible! I never authorised anything outside of the approved budget. If my codes were used, then someone forged them.”

Lerato’s voice dropped to a whisper, soft, almost pained.

Lerato: “I’m not accusing, Nomusa. Maybe… someone close to you used your access? Or maybe it was just negligence.”

Her words dripped poison disguised as pity.

Sandile leaned back, his jaw clenched, his gaze burning into me.

Sandile: “Three million isn’t negligence. It’s theft. And right now, the trail leads straight to you.”

I slammed my hand against the table, my composure cracking.

Nomusa: “After everything I’ve done for this company? After the tenders I fought for, the nights I spent building this empire from the ground? You think I’d steal from it?”

For a moment, silence. Lerato’s eyes met Sandile’s, a flicker of victory dancing in her smile.

Nomusa (calmer, firm): “If you want the truth, Sandile, then launch a forensic audit. Trace every transfer, every login. I have nothing to hide.”

The room shifted uneasily. Bongani’s eyes darted between us, his loyalty torn.

Sandile (cold, measured): “Fine. We’ll audit. But until then, Nomusa… you’re off the Khumalo project. Bongani, Lerato you’ll take the lead.”

The knife twisted deep. I forced myself to stand tall, my voice steady even as my chest burned.

Nomusa: “Take me off the project if you must. But remember this truth doesn’t bend to degrees, or charm, or polished smiles. It stands. And when this truth stands, Sandile, you’ll regret not knowing where your loyalty should have been.”

I left the boardroom without waiting for his response. Behind me, whispers buzzed, Lerato’s soft laughter barely muffled.

Inside, rage and resolve fused into one. She had painted me as a thief, and Sandile had allowed the picture to hang. But when the truth came out and I would make sure it did the empire would not just shift. It would break.


The audit team arrived two days later. Suits, briefcases, quiet authority. They combed through files, passwords, server logs. I kept my head high, though every glance felt like an accusation.

Sandile barely spoke to me at home. He moved like a shadow through the house, his phone lighting his face at midnight, his laughter echoing in rooms where once it had been only ours. The silence was louder than words.

By the end of the week, whispers swirled. People in the office avoided my eyes, their pity more suffocating than their suspicion. Lerato, meanwhile, moved like a queen on a board she believed was already hers smiling, consoling, offering “kind words” that cut deeper than knives.

But then came the unexpected shift.

Mr. Khumalo stormed into headquarters one morning, his voice carrying across the reception area.

Mr. Khumalo: “Where’s Nomusa? I want Nomusa. Not the PR girl, not the assistants. Nomusa.”

The receptionist stammered, pointing toward my office. I stood as he entered, his presence filling the space like a storm.

Nomusa (steady, cautious): “Mr. Khumalo. Is something wrong?”

He slammed a folder onto my desk. Invoices, contracts, altered specifications the very ones Lerato had paraded before.

Mr. Khumalo: “This nonsense nearly cost me investors. If it weren’t for the assurances you gave me directly, I’d have pulled out. They tried to replace engineering standards with buzzwords. Do you take me for a fool?”

My chest tightened not at his anger, but at his clarity. He had seen through the charade.

Nomusa: “I told you before safety and standards aren’t optional. And I stand by that.”

His expression softened. He leaned closer, his voice dropping.

Mr. Khumalo: “That’s why I trust you. If Nkosi Construction loses you, they lose me. Tell Sandile that.”

The words were fire in my veins. Proof. A weapon.

By afternoon, the auditors confirmed what I already knew: the suspicious transfers had been routed through a temporary account created under my login but from a location I could not have been.

Auditor: “Someone cloned your credentials. This isn’t negligence. It’s sabotage.”

The boardroom buzzed. Lerato’s mask trembled, just for a second, before she plastered her polite smile back on.

Sandile’s eyes flicked between me and Lerato, confusion battling with pride.

Nomusa (calm, unyielding): “I told you the truth would stand. Now, Sandile, you have a choice to make. Do you keep protecting an image, or do you protect the empire we built on real work?”

The room went still.

Lerato tilted her head, voice soft but strained.

Lerato: “It was just a mistake in oversight. Anyone could have”

Nomusa (cutting in): “No. Not anyone. Only someone who benefits from my downfall.”

Sandile said nothing. His silence was louder than any words, but for the first time, doubt flickered in his eyes when he looked at her.

And I knew then: her mask had cracked. Just slightly. But enough.






Comments