Chapter 32: The Setup
The boardroom smelled faintly of polish and ambition. A high-profile client, Mr. Khumalo, sat at the head of the table, flipping through glossy presentation packets Lerato had arranged. She stood near the projector, poised, flawless, her lipstick as sharp as her words.
Lerato: “Nkosi Construction is more than a builder. We are innovators. With our modern approach, we guarantee efficiency, style, and lasting value.”
Her voice glided across the room like silk. The staff nodded, even Bongani, though I caught the nervous twitch in his jaw. I remained silent, waiting. Something about the documents felt… off.
When Mr. Khumalo stopped on one page, his brows knit together.
Mr. Khumalo: “This doesn’t look like what I approved. The material specifications here steel grade, cement ratios they don’t match the contract.”
The room froze. My heart kicked. I knew immediately this was no simple oversight. The changes weren’t just errors. They were deliberate. Glossy jargon had replaced hard details, the kind that anchored multimillion-rand projects in reality.
Sandile frowned, leaning forward.
Sandile: “Nomusa, did you approve this?”
The words landed like a blow. Lerato’s eyes flickered toward me, innocent, as though she were surprised my name had even entered the conversation.
Nomusa (steady, measured): “No. I never signed off on this. These documents have been altered.”
Lerato tilted her head, the picture of composure.
Lerato: “I only reformatted the presentation for clarity. The specifications must have been overlooked in the process. Perhaps Nomusa didn’t update her files?”
A subtle dagger, cloaked as suggestion. Mr. Khumalo’s eyes turned to me, sharp, expectant.
Nomusa: “With respect, I know every detail of this project. Those specifications were correct until someone changed them. And I can prove it.”
I opened my laptop, pulling up the archived files from the project server. In seconds, the original specs appeared on the screen precise, detailed, correct. The exact opposite of what Lerato had presented.
Mr. Khumalo leaned back, unimpressed.
Mr. Khumalo: “I don’t care who’s at fault. I just want assurance my project won’t collapse before the paint dries. Can you guarantee that, Nomusa?”
I met his gaze without flinching.
Nomusa: “Yes. Because I don’t deal in reworded promises. I deal in results. My team and I will personally oversee every detail. You will get exactly what you were promised, and more.”
His expression softened, if only slightly. He nodded.
Mr. Khumalo: “Good. I’ll hold you to that.”
The meeting ended, but the silence afterward was louder than any applause. Staff filed out, avoiding eye contact. Sandile lingered, his jaw tight, his disappointment cutting through the air.
Sandile (low, cold): “You made me look unprepared in front of a client.”
I turned to him, fury and hurt swirling together.
Nomusa: “No, Sandile. I saved you. Again. If Khumalo had walked out, you’d have lost millions and your reputation. This wasn’t my mistake.”
Lerato stepped forward, her voice soft, sympathetic.
Lerato: “Sandile, she’s right. Maybe I pushed too hard with the formatting. I only wanted the presentation to shine. I didn’t realise…”
Her humility was a mask, but it worked. Sandile’s shoulders eased just slightly, his eyes softening as he looked at her.
I felt the burn in my chest not just at her scheme, but at his willingness to believe her, to shield her even when the truth was clear.
As I gathered my files, I whispered to myself: She thinks she’s clever. But one day, Sandile will see the mask for what it is. And when it slips, she won’t be standing tall. She’ll be crawling.
The war had left the boardroom. Now, it was in the marrow of the company, in the air of my own home. And the battlefield was getting bloodier.
Comments
Post a Comment