Advertisement

Chapter 31: Seeds of Division



The crisis at North Ridge was resolved, but the tension inside the office had only deepened. I could feel it in the hallways, in the way conversations hushed when I walked past, in the way Lerato’s laughter lingered a little too loudly near Sandile’s office. She wasn’t retreating she was regrouping.

That afternoon, I caught a glimpse of them through the glass wall. Sandile leaned back in his chair, his arms crossed, his face thoughtful. Lerato sat across from him, posture perfect, her voice soft but persuasive.

Lerato: “Sandile, I know Nomusa fixed things. But the way she spoke to me… in front of everyone… it undermined you. If staff see her dismissing decisions, they might start questioning your leadership too.”

Her words floated across the glass like poisoned honey. I couldn’t hear Sandile’s reply, but I saw the slow nod, the crease in his brow.

Later, at home, the battle continued in subtler form. He sat at the edge of the bed, scrolling through emails, his voice low but sharp.

Sandile: “You didn’t have to embarrass Lerato like that. She’s new, she’s learning. A little grace wouldn’t hurt.”

I kept my voice steady, though the sting was sharp.

Nomusa: “Grace doesn’t pour concrete, Sandile. Grace doesn’t stop a wall from collapsing. She interfered in a project she wasn’t qualified to touch. I didn’t embarrass her I prevented disaster.”

He sighed, shaking his head as though I were missing something obvious.

Sandile: “Still, you could have handled it differently. She’s important to the image of this company.”

Nomusa: “And I’m important to its survival.”

The words hung between us, sharp, undeniable.

At the office, Lerato doubled down. She became more visible, hosting sleek presentations, whispering “suggestions” to staff in corners, positioning herself as a visionary. And always, she spoke with just enough subtlety to shift blame without appearing guilty.

Lerato (to a staff, smiling): “Nomusa’s methods are… traditional. Reliable, yes. But Sandile wants Nkosi Construction to be seen as modern, progressive. That’s where I come in.”

It was poison wrapped in silk. She didn’t attack me outright she planted seeds. And Sandile, already caught between pride and perception, began to water them.

One evening, as I left the office late, I overheard their laughter echoing down the corridor. His deep chuckle, her melodic tone. My chest tightened not with jealousy, but with the sharp clarity of recognition. This wasn’t about work anymore. It was about influence. About loyalty. About power.

And Lerato was no longer simply playing her role in PR. She was building her own empire inside mine.

But here’s what she didn’t understand: seeds of division may sprout quickly, but roots of experience run deeper. I had weathered storms before, and I knew how to fight battles that didn’t end in boardrooms, but in silence, strategy, and patience.

The game had shifted. And if Lerato wanted a war of influence, she was about to find out that not all battles are won with charm. Some are won with fire.







Comments