Advertisement

Chapter 29: The Project That Almost Failed

 


The email hit my inbox like a punch to the gut.

Sandile: “Nomusa, for this new township development, we’re going with Lerato, Bongani, and the team. You don’t need to be involved directly they’ve got this covered.”

I blinked, stunned.

Nomusa: “Excuse me? This is a complex development. I should at least oversee the structural plans and safety checks. I know the soil conditions and retaining walls better than anyone.”

Sandile (smiling): “I appreciate your input, Nomusa, but this is more of a marketing-heavy project. Lerato will coordinate with Bongani and the engineers. Trust me, the team has it handled. You don’t need to get involved.”

My jaw tightened. I wanted to protest further, but I let it go for now. I knew Sandile. Once he had made up his mind, arguing rarely changed it.

The following weeks, I watched from the sidelines as the project progressed. Lerato was everywhere, smiling, taking notes, charming the clients and the team. Bongani, eager to impress, nodded at her every suggestion, even when it contradicted standard construction practices.

I tried to stay away, keeping my focus on my other projects, though every detail tugged at me. Something felt off.

And then it happened.

A client called me directly. My stomach sank as I listened.

Client (frustrated): “Nomusa, the retaining walls on the North Ridge site are showing cracks already. I don’t understand this was supposed to be a high-standard project. Can you fix this?”


My hands clenched the phone. My heart pounded, but I forced my voice calm.

Nomusa: “I’ll come to the site immediately. We’ll assess the damage and make it right.”

By the time I arrived, the mistakes were clear. Bongani had followed Lerato’s suggestions on the materials, prioritising aesthetics and “premium presentation” over structural integrity. The retaining walls were improperly reinforced, and several foundations had been laid without the proper adjustments for soil density. One wrong move, and the entire development could have been compromised.

I called the team together, Sandile included, my voice sharp and controlled.

Nomusa: “Lerato, Bongani, this is a serious oversight. The foundation calculations are wrong, and the retaining walls will fail if we don’t act now. We need immediate corrective measures.”

Bongani (stammering): “I… I thought we were following the plan you approved”

Nomusa: “No, Bongani. I never approved substituting concrete grades to save costs. That’s a disaster waiting to happen.”

Lerato (nervous): “We were trying to implement Sandile’s advice on presentation… it’s what he said clients wanted.”

I turned toward Sandile, my gaze burning.

Nomusa: “Sandile. You excluded me from this project. You handed it to people who don’t understand construction the way I do, and now the company is at risk.”

Sandile’s confident expression faltered slightly, but he didn’t apologise.

Sandile: “We were trying to modernise the approach. I didn’t think it would be a problem…”


Nomusa: “Not thinking it would be a problem? This is not just about aesthetics or presentations, Sandile. This is about lives, investment, and the reputation of Nkosi Construction. That’s why my experience matters. You can’t replace hands-on knowledge with charm.”

I spent the next several hours on-site, recalculating loads, reinforcing foundations, and redoing walls. Sweat ran down my face, my hands were raw, but I didn’t stop. I had to save the project, the client, and ultimately the company.

By the next morning, the immediate threat was averted. The client called back, calmer, even impressed by how quickly the issues were resolved.

Client: “Nomusa… I don’t know how you did it, but the project is back on track. I trust you completely. Don’t let anyone override your expertise again.”

I hung up, exhaling slowly. My chest ached, but a quiet satisfaction settled in. Sandile walked in soon after, glancing at the site, then at me.

Sandile: “You really… saved us, Nomusa.”

I met his gaze, my voice steady, firm.

Nomusa: “I did not save us because I want praise. I save us because I know how to. This company cannot survive on charm alone, Sandile. Remember that.”

He nodded, thoughtful, and for the first time in weeks, I saw a flicker of understanding but it was fleeting. The subtle games, the favours, the exclusion those wouldn’t disappear overnight.

I turned back to the site, my hands already ready to check the next foundation. One thing was certain: as long as I was here, no mistake no charm, no degree, no polished smile would ever put Nkosi Construction in jeopardy again.


Comments