Chapter 27: The Clash of Experience
It didn’t take long for Lerato to find her rhythm. She wasn’t loud. She didn’t need to be. Her power came in carefully timed words, perfectly polished smiles, and the way she made others believe she was simply “adding value.” At first, I told myself I was imagining it. I was being oversensitive. But soon, it became undeniable.
We were discussing the new housing project when I spoke up, my voice calm but certain.
Nomusa: “If we standardise the foundation specifications and reinforce the retaining walls according to the soil report, we can prevent structural issues later. The key is balancing cost efficiency with long-term durability.”
Before I could continue, Lerato leaned forward, her voice sweet, almost sugary.
Lerato: “That’s… interesting, Nomusa, but wouldn’t it sound more appealing if we framed it as ‘premium structural solutions’? Saying things like ‘reinforced walls’ or ‘foundation standards’ might sound too… technical for investors or clients. They might not understand.”
Her smile never wavered, but the sting in her words was sharp. I felt my jaw tighten.
Nomusa: “Clients may not understand the technical terms, but that doesn’t make them less important. These specifications protect people. They prevent cracks, flooding, and long-term failures. Safety and durability aren’t marketing terms they’re necessities.”
She leaned back slightly, soft and almost patronising.
Lerato: “Of course, I understand, but Sandile, presentation matters. Investors want reassurance that Nkosi Construction is cutting-edge. Don’t you agree?”
Sandile: “Absolutely. Nomusa, you’re brilliant at construction, I won’t deny that but the way she phrases things resonates with people. Investors, the board… they respond to her. I think we should present it as Lerato suggests. It’s about perception as much as structure.”
I felt my chest tighten, the words slicing like knives.
Nomusa: “Perception can’t replace reality, Sandile. Buildings can’t fail for the sake of a good pitch. Marketing cannot make unsafe construction safe.”
Sandile (leaning back, dismissive): “I know, I know. But let’s be honest, Nomusa, you’re too technical sometimes. You focus on every detail and that’s necessary but you forget the bigger picture: how the company appears, how clients feel. Lerato understands that instinctively.”
I clenched my fists under the table, refusing to let the tension show.
Nomusa: “And my experience doesn’t count? I’ve solved problems on-site that would have cost the company millions. I may not have her degree or her PR charm, but I know this business. I know how to prevent disasters before they happen. That knowledge carries more weight than any polished presentation.”
Lerato (smiling, calm): “I’m not saying your expertise doesn’t matter, Nomusa. But there’s room for both. Experience and presentation together that’s how Nkosi Construction wins.”
Sandile: “Exactly. You see, Nomusa? It’s not about replacing you. It’s about complementing you. Investors see results, yes, but they also respond to how those results are communicated. You can’t ignore that reality.”
I took a deep breath, my mind racing. My voice, when it came, was firm.
Nomusa: “Complement, yes. But do not mistake my job for yours. My responsibility is construction, safety, and ensuring every project succeeds. Your role Lerato’ is PR, marketing, and perception. Step into your role, Sandile stop diminishing mine.”
Sandile shrugged, still leaning toward Lerato’s side.
Sandile: “I’m not diminishing you. I’m just… trying to modernise how we present the company. Lerato has ideas that make people sit up and notice. We need that. We need her. Don’t take it personally.”
Nomusa (voice low, controlled): “It’s hard not to take it personally when the one person who built this empire with me seems to admire charm over competence. I may not have a degree, Sandile, but I have experience you can’t teach. And that experience keeps this company standing.”
Lerato’s smile remained, polite, calculating. Sandile nodded, satisfied with her approach, oblivious to the fire it sparked in me.
I sat at my desk afterward, silent, pride tempered by exhaustion. Around the office, heads nodded at Lerato’s flair, and Sandile’s support of her ideas made it clear: my expertise alone no longer guaranteed influence. But I had reminded them quietly, internally that experience cannot be erased. Not by charm, not by a degree, not even by the CEO’s admiration.
Because in this empire, I built more than structures. I built results, authority, and the kind of influence that could never be faked. And as I looked toward Lerato, her smile polite but calculating, I knew the subtle battle had begun. One day, the masks would slip and when they did, only the strongest would remain standing.
Comments
Post a Comment