Advertisement

Chapter 26: Lerato’s introduction

 



The first time I saw her, I understood immediately. Lerato was not just another hire she was a statement. A statement that didn’t merely announce her presence; it demanded recognition, attention, and submission. She moved with the kind of confidence that blurred the edges of a room, as if the space itself had been holding its breath, waiting for her to arrive. Her height, her posture, the slow, deliberate way she set her purse down on the polished conference table it all radiated control. Glamour, yes, but with an undercurrent of something sharper, something almost predatory.


Her hair shone under the harsh fluorescent lights, cascading like a glossy waterfall, catching glints that seemed to mock the ordinary. Her perfume lingered in the air long after she passed, not floral, not sweet, but something more insistent an aroma that felt like a warning. And her smile… that smile. Sharp, deliberate, calculated. It didn’t reach her eyes in the way genuine smiles did. It was a tool, a weapon, and I could feel it slicing through the familiarity I had built in this room, in this company, in this empire.

Sandile introduced her with a flourish, his voice carrying the excitement of a man unveiling a new prize, the kind of man whose eyes sparkle not at achievement but at ownership.

Sandile: “Ladies and gentlemen, meet our new PR manager, Lerato. She’s going to take Nkosi Construction into a new era. With her on board, we’ll finally have the image to match our success.”

The words hit me harder than I expected. Image to match our success. As though all we had built together the late nights, the tenders, the sleepless months of planning and execution had somehow been incomplete until she arrived. I forced a polite smile, nodding in acknowledgment, but inside, a dull ache pressed heavier against my ribs, a subtle but persistent reminder that my place, however earned, was being quietly, deliberately challenged.

Lerato’s eyes swept across the table, measuring, observing, and when they landed on me, it was only for a fraction longer than necessary but enough. Enough for me to see it: recognition. Triumph. Confidence that the game had already begun, and she was already several moves ahead.

She laughed easily at Sandile’s jokes, leaned in as though every word he spoke was gold, and scribbled notes with careful precision, the pen moving like a metronome keeping time with his ego. And he basked in it. His posture shifted, his voice grew louder, more animated, his eyes lingering on her approval in a way that made my stomach tighten. I recognised that gaze; I had once been the one who inspired it. Once.

Then came the moment that burned the most:

Sandile: “Nomusa, why don’t you share with Lerato some of the history behind our brand? You’re the one who knows it best.”

The suddenness of it, the way it cut through my thoughts, made me pause. Jolted, I caught the subtle smirk tugging at the corner of his mouth. Was this generosity? A rare acknowledgment of my value? Or a performance, a subtle reminder that the spotlight was shifting, that my contributions were no longer the center of attention?

I cleared my throat, and stepped forward.

Nomusa: “Certainly. Nkosi Construction was founded ten years ago, with a vision to build more than structures to build trust, reliability, and excellence in every project we undertake. Every tender we’ve won, every client we’ve kept loyal, has been because of that commitment.”

Lerato: “Impressive. It’s clear the foundation is strong. I look forward to helping the world see it as well.”

Her tone was polite, almost sweet, but there was an edge, an undercurrent that suggested she already assumed control.

Sandile: “Exactly. That’s the kind of energy we need, Lerato. I want our image to be as strong as our results. Nomusa, you understand the past, and Lerato will shape the future.”

The words felt like a hammer striking glass.

Nomusa: “I’m sure we’ll do what’s best for the company.”

I forced my smile, but my heart wasn’t in it. I could see the way she subtly nodded, as if to say, I see you. But you’re not the one in charge anymore.

Lerato: “I hope we can work closely, Nomusa. Your experience will be invaluable.”

Her words sounded friendly, almost collaborative, but the gleam in her eyes told a different story one of calculated observation, sizing me up, weighing my worth.

The meeting ended with polite applause for Lerato’s “vision,” though she had said little more than well-wrapped buzzwords layered over charm. And yet, it was enough. Enough to make everyone in the room including Sandile lean toward her, nodding, impressed, convinced.

As we filed out, I lingered behind, unwilling to leave my vantage point. I watched Sandile walk beside her, the two of them laughing, their gestures synchronised, familiar, intimate. My chest tightened, a mix of anger and disbelief twisting inside me. This isn’t just a hire. This is a power play. And I can feel the boardroom shifting beneath my feet.

And just like that, a new tension entered the empire I had built. It was subtle but undeniable a tension wrapped in perfume, lipstick, and a perfectly tailored suit. Lerato had arrived, and the balance had shifted, almost imperceptibly, but irrevocably. I could feel the game had begun, and I was not sure I liked the rules anymore.




Comments