Chapter 25: Lerato Arrives
The morning Lerato walked into our office, I felt the shift in the air before she even spoke. She arrived in a crisp white blouse, tailored trousers, and a confidence that seemed rehearsed. She greeted us in flawless English, every syllable sharp, polished, and deliberate.
Sandile (smiling, leaning forward): “Thank you for coming, Lerato. We’ve been looking for someone who can elevate our image. Nkosi Construction is expanding, and we need a strong PR voice.”
She nodded gracefully, her smile unwavering. I glanced at Sandile already impressed. Too impressed.
I opened my notebook and began the real test.
Nomusa: “Lerato, tell me what do you believe is the biggest challenge for a construction company in South Africa when it comes to public relations?”
For the first time, her smile faltered. She hesitated, shifting in her chair.
Lerato: “Well… I believe… branding is important. And… making sure that people know the company exists.”
It was a shallow answer, vague and unprepared. I raised an eyebrow.
Nomusa: “That’s true, but too general. I’m asking about the industry specifically. Construction is known for issues like project delays, cost disputes, and labour unrest. How would you handle a PR crisis in such cases?”
She blinked rapidly, searching for words.
Lerato: “I… would, um… call the media and… explain…”
I leaned back, unimpressed. Sandile, however, jumped in like a knight defending his queen.
Sandile: “What Nomusa means is these situations are rare, but it’s about preparedness. Lerato’s academic background in communications makes her more than capable. She might not have the exact industry examples, but she can learn quickly.”
His tone was almost protective, his admiration transparent. I closed my notebook slowly, letting the silence linger before speaking again.
Nomusa: “I see. Lerato, one more question. What makes you think you’re the right fit for Nkosi Construction?”
Her confidence returned. She straightened in her chair and delivered a polished speech about her education, her fluency, her passion for “building images that last.” The words were shiny, but empty. Still, Sandile beamed at her as though she’d solved world hunger.
Sandile : “She’s perfect. Exactly the face we need for this company. Her confidence, her education, Nomusa, she’s the future of Nkosi Construction’s brand.”
I frowned, my pen tapping lightly against the notebook.
Nomusa: “Sandile, she struggled with basic questions. She doesn’t know the industry. Don’t you think we should reconsider?”
He waved me off, his smile lingering like a man already convinced.
Sandile: “Don’t worry about that. She’ll grow into the role. Trust me Lerato is the right choice.”
Nomusa: “We’ve seen better-prepared candidates. This feels rushed.”
He waved me off, already convinced.
Sandile: “No, I’ve made up my mind. Lerato is the right choice. Let’s get her on board immediately.”
Reluctantly, I drew up the contract the next day. As protocol required, I added the clause I had created long ago a rule forbidding employees from engaging in personal or romantic relationships with executives or management. It had been meant to protect the company’s integrity, to prevent blurred lines.
When Lerato returned to sign her papers, I slid the contract across the table.
Nomusa: “Please review carefully before signing. You’ll notice a specific clause here at Nkosi Construction, employees are not allowed to date executives or anyone in management. It keeps the company professional and ensures fairness.”
Her eyes flickered for the briefest second, just long enough for me to notice. She recovered quickly, pen in hand, and signed with that same deliberate smile.
I watched her, unease curling in my stomach. Something about her felt rehearsed, too polished. But Sandile was already grinning, satisfied.
And just like that, Lerato became part of Nkosi Construction not because she was the best candidate, but because Sandile had already decided she was.
Comments
Post a Comment