Chapter 23: First Public Humiliation
The client meeting was supposed to be straightforward a routine discussion with the logistics team from Mbeki & Sons about a major contract we were bidding for. I had spent hours preparing, analysing every potential bottleneck, anticipating every question. My presentation was polished, every figure checked, every contingency mapped.
Nomusa (whispering): “This is it, Nomusa. Show them why you’re indispensable.”
The room was full the client team, Sandile, and a few key Nkosi Construction staff. I started confidently, walking through timelines, budgets, and project strategies. I could feel their eyes on me, curious, impressed, and I let my passion for the work shine through.
Client (nodding approvingly): “Nomusa, this level of detail is impressive. It really shows you understand the complexities of large-scale projects.”
A small, satisfied smile tugged at my lips. I had worked hard for this recognition, even if the credit often went elsewhere.
But then Sandile spoke, and everything shifted.
Sandile: And that's the heart and passion we're so proud of, everyone. Thank you, sthandwa sami. But let's leave the complex financial projections to the accountants, hmm? Your beautiful vision is inspiration enough."
The words hit me like a cold wave. My chest tightened, my smile faltered, and for a moment, the carefully rehearsed confidence I had carried into the room wavered. The client’s eyes flicked between us, the silence thick and uncomfortable. I could feel the heat creeping up my neck, my face burning, humiliation bubbling under my skin.
Nomusa (whispering): “Did he just…?”
Sandile continued, oblivious or perhaps uncaring of the sting in my expression, while the room shifted uncomfortably. I gritted my teeth, forcing myself to stay composed, to continue presenting. But the taste of betrayal lingered.
After the meeting, I walked past the clients, managing a polite smile while internally my mind raced with disbelief. The man I had helped build this company with, the man who had once deferred to my judgment at every turn, had just undermined me in front of the people whose respect I had worked so hard to earn.
Nomusa (whispering): “He doesn’t see me. Not really. Not anymore. And yet… I will not let this break me.”
I left the boardroom holding my head high, masking the ache in my chest, silently vowing that no public slight no matter how calculated or careless would erase the woman who had built this company from the ground up.
Nomusa (whispering): “Next time, they’ll remember. They’ll remember who truly makes Nkosi Construction work. And Sandile… he’ll learn that underestimating me comes with a cost.”
Comments
Post a Comment