Advertisement

Chapter 22. Signs of Distance

 



It started with little things, the kind of small changes that a casual observer might miss, but that struck me like warning bells. Sandile’s attention, once so naturally attuned to our home and our family, began to drift. Conversations that used to flow easily now felt truncated, interrupted by phone notifications, emails, and the ever-present hum of business.

One evening, as I prepared dinner, I noticed him scrolling through his phone at the kitchen counter, the corners of his mouth twitching in amusement.

Nomusa: “Sandile… who’s that? Another client update?”

Sandile: “Oh, just a colleague from the office. You know how it is, emails piling up.”

I nodded, but the warmth I had grown accustomed to the small smile, the quick question about my day was missing. He seemed elsewhere, physically present but mentally wandering.

At the office, the distance was even more palpable. He laughed easily with the new staff, especially Bongani and the young assistants, his attention lingering on their polished presentations, their confidence, their charm. I could see the subtle shift the way he deferred to them, asked their opinions first, and nodded along as if he were discovering a world I had already built for him.

Nomusa (thinking): “This isn’t just business anymore. Something’s changing… and it’s not just the staff. It’s him.”

Even at home, the late nights at the office were becoming more frequent. When he returned, he was polite, kind, but distant offering a brief smile, a tired nod, but not the connection we once shared. The children ran to him, and he picked them up, but his eyes often drifted, scanning some imagined boardroom or event, somewhere beyond our walls.

Nomusa (whispering): “I built this with you, Sandile. Every success, every tender, every late night… it was us. Don’t let the world take that from us before you even realize what’s happening.”

The subtle signs of distance a tone of voice, a glance, a lingering laugh with someone else were becoming impossible to ignore. Unease settled in my chest, heavy and cold. I had learned to trust my instincts in business, and now they screamed at me: something was shifting, and I needed to pay attention before it was too late.

Nomusa (whispering): “I’ll watch. I’ll stay aware. I won’t let this slip away… not without knowing why.”


The house was full, yet somehow it felt empty. Between the demands of motherhood and the creeping sense that Sandile’s attention was elsewhere, I often felt stretched thin, caught between the role of mother, wife, and business partner a role I was slowly realising I no longer fully occupied in his eyes.

Each morning began early. I dressed the children, prepared breakfast, packed school bags, and managed the schedules of three growing little lives. The house was alive with noise laughter, cries, the pitter-patter of tiny feet  yet a silence lingered in the corners, a void where companionship and shared purpose once existed.

Nomusa (whispering): “How did it get to this? I’m everywhere… but nowhere at once.”

Sandile’s absence at home had grown noticeable. Dinners were often solitary, the children asking when Daddy would be home, their eyes curious, uncomprehending of the adult tensions they couldn’t yet see.

Nomusa: “I’m still here, little ones. I’m still us… even if he doesn’t notice.”

Work, too, pulled at me. Nkosi Construction’s growth demanded oversight, coordination, and strategy.



 Yet every day I felt a subtle exclusion decisions being made without my input, plans whispered about in meetings I wasn’t part of, opportunities I had once been at the center of quietly handed to others.

I would catch myself lingering over the children’s homework, my eyes scanning their progress reports, while my mind drifted to spreadsheets, proposals, and project timelines. The balance I once prided myself on  nurturing mother and sharp businesswoman now felt like walking a tightrope over an abyss.

Nomusa (whispering): “Is this… me? Who am I beyond these roles? Beyond being someone’s wife and the mother of these amazing children?”

Even with help from my mother and a reliable nanny, the isolation persisted. Conversations with adults were brief, functional, often focused on schedules, tasks, or logistics. The emotional connection I craved, the shared laughter and understanding I once had with Sandile, was replaced by a polite distance, a courteous nod, or a distracted smile.

And yet, amidst the overwhelm, a quiet resilience took root. I reminded myself of the strength that had built Nkosi Construction from the ground up, of the intuition and intelligence that had carried us through countless challenges. I would not vanish into the domestic routine, nor would I allow my mind and spirit to be swallowed by the shadows of neglect.

Nomusa (whispering): “I will find myself again mother, businesswoman, woman. I will not disappear into the background. Not now. Not ever.”

The day ended with small victories a child’s giggle, a successful email sent to a client, a tender moment with one of the babies. But the ache of solitude lingered, a reminder that while I was balancing roles, something vital within me demanded attention. And I would answer that call, quietly, fiercely, and without compromise.


Comments