Chapter 21: Sandile’s Ego
Sandile began to transform almost overnight. The crisp tailored suits, polished shoes, and silk ties weren’t just clothes; they were armour, a declaration that he belonged in a world I had helped him reach. I watched as he examined himself in the mirror each morning, adjusting his collar and tie with meticulous care, a faint smile tugging at his lips a smile I hadn’t seen directed at me in weeks.
He spent more time at high-profile networking events than at home. Gala dinners, cocktail receptions, luxury hotel conferences each evening he returned later than the last, smelling faintly of cologne I didn’t recognize, carrying the energy of a world that seemed to admire him more than they ever had me.
Nomusa: “Sandile… are you going to the dinner with the Hill & Partners team again tonight?”
Sandile: “Yes, Nomusa. They really value our relationship. This could lead to a major contract. You understand, right? I have to be there.”
I nodded, smiling politely, though a tiny ache tugged at my chest. I had understood from the beginning, had given everything to this empire. But lately, his presence felt more performative than personal. I forced a casual tone.
Nomusa: “Of course, go and make an impression. Show them what Nkosi Construction is capable of.”
Sandile: “And Nomusa… you look beautiful. Really. But tonight, I have to step out. Don’t wait up.”
Nomusa: “Of course, Sandile. Go… conquer the world.”
The truth was, I did feel proud. I had watched the boy from our small township grow into a man whose charm opened doors.
But alongside that pride was a growing unease. The man I had built with my hands, the partner who once leaned on my insight for every major decision, now seemed to lean on the admiration of strangers more than the love and counsel I had always offered. I felt invisible in my own home, a shadow of my former place beside him.
At the office, his interactions changed too. Clients lingered on his handshake, his laugh, the sparkle in his eye when he spoke of the next big project. I could see it the subtle power shift, how the polished newcomers regarded him as the ultimate authority, sometimes dismissing my suggestions, sometimes deferring entirely. The people I once trained, advised, and mentored now treated me politely but distantly, as though my role had always been minor.
Bongani, our new CFO, approached me one afternoon, a hint of smugness in his expression.
Bongani: “Nomusa, Sandile’s got a good instinct with these high-profile clients. But perhaps some of your… detailed plans might be too granular for these people.”
Nomusa: “Bongani, I understand your point. But these clients appreciate precision and they’ve always rewarded careful planning.”
He shrugged, a silent challenge lingering in the air. His eyes flicked briefly to Sandile, who was chatting animatedly with a visiting client across the room, before returning to his files. I watched them both, my chest tightening, a quiet fire kindling in my veins.
Sandile walked past me then, impeccably dressed, exuding confidence, a slight grin on his lips, completely unaware or perhaps unconcerned that every compliment he received from strangers subtly undermined my contributions. His gaze didn’t meet mine. He didn’t see the woman who had been by his side through every pitch, every tender, every long night of calculations and negotiations.
That evening, as he left for yet another networking dinner, I whispered to myself, the words a mixture of warning and lament:
Nomusa: “Sandile, I helped you get here. Don’t forget who built the foundation. Don’t forget who stayed when the work was hardest, when the nights were longest, when the world doubted you.”
But the sparkle in his eyes, the lure of recognition from the outside world, was already beginning to outshine the quiet, steadfast presence of the woman who had always been there the woman who had built the empire with him, who had sacrificed and strategised and loved. And I realised, with a sinking feeling in my chest, that no tailored suit, no polished smile, no applause from strangers could replace what we had once shared the foundation of a partnership that had made both of us whole.
I straightened the papers on my desk, took a deep breath, and reminded myself:
Numusa: “I will not be overlooked. Not in this office. Not in his life. Not ever.”
The fire of determination flared inside me. If Sandile’s world was shifting, I would remain the constant the mind, the heart, and the presence he had once relied on. No amount of admiration from strangers would erase that truth.
Comments
Post a Comment