Chapter 20: Growing the Company
New faces filled the corridors. Young, educated staff with impressive resumes walked past my desk, their confidence palpable. They didn’t know the late nights I’d spent drafting proposals, the calls I’d made securing every contract, or the strategies I had quietly masterminded. To them, this company was just a given, and I felt both pride and unease.
Bongani, our new CFO, had a sharp suit and sharper eyes. He nodded politely when I walked by, but the subtle tilt of his mouth suggested judgment, a quiet testing of boundaries.
Bongani: “Nomusa, I was reviewing the East Rand tender numbers. I think we might need to revise the projections slightly.”
Nomusa: “I’ve double-checked the calculations. They’re accurate. But I’ll go through them again with you just to be sure everything aligns with the client’s expectations.”
His eyes flicked to mine, sizing me up as if I were an intruder rather than the strategist who had built this company with Sandile. I returned to my work, letting my quiet confidence speak louder than his implied challenge.
Sandile, now wearing tailored suits and polished shoes, began spending more time with high-profile clients. His charm opened doors, yes, but I noticed how easily he leaned into their world one I had helped him reach, but one I sometimes felt excluded from.
One afternoon, he passed by my desk, phone in hand, speaking to a client about a potential high-rise contract.
Sandile: “Yes, yes we can have the preliminary drawings ready by next week. Absolutely, I’ll personally ensure it meets your standards.”
Nomusa: “Sandile, don’t forget the compliance review we discussed last night. The city council has new regulations on structural load, and I’ve adjusted the plans accordingly.”
He glanced at me briefly, a flicker of acknowledgment, then returned to his call. I could feel the shift the recognition of my input no longer automatic, no longer immediate.
The long commute, the growing responsibilities, and the weight of motherhood made some days feel heavier than others. Three children demanded constant attention, and yet I could feel the distance growing between Sandile and me, subtle but undeniable
Later that evening, he finally walked into the living room, dropping his briefcase with a soft thud.
Sandile: “You’ve done a great job today, Nomusa. The client seemed impressed.”
Nomusa (forcing a smile): “Thank you, Sandile. I made sure every detail was perfect.”
He nodded, distractedly checking his messages. I felt the old pang the one that whispered I was still here, working, giving, building, but somehow less visible.
As he scrolled through his phone, my thoughts drifted back to the office earlier that day the hum of new energy, the polished professionals filling the space, the quiet awe of clients who walked through our doors.
And then it hit me again like it always did. I am Nomusa. I am the mind behind this machine. They may come with their degrees and shiny titles, but the foundation of Nkosi Construction the vision, the strategy, the heart is mine.
Nomusa (whispering ): “I built this company. I raised this man. And I will not let anyone forget it. Not now. Not ever.”
Comments
Post a Comment