Advertisement

Chapter 18: Sipho’s Regret

 



The village was quiet, the kind of stillness that only comes in the early hours of the morning when the world is caught between night and day. Sipho sat on the wooden bench outside his father’s homestead, staring at the horizon where the sun was just beginning to rise. The air was cool, carrying with it the faint scent of dew and earth, but Sipho felt none of the peace that usually came with such moments. His mind was a storm, his heart heavy with regret. Since Thandiwe and the twins had left, the homestead had felt empty, the laughter and chatter that once filled the air replaced by an oppressive silence. Sipho had tried to carry on as usual, throwing himself into his work and the responsibilities of the family, but it was no use. The absence of his ex wife and children was a constant ache, a reminder of the choices he had made and the life he had thrown away. His father, Mkhulu, had noticed the change in him. The old man was wise, his years etched into the lines on his face and the stoop of his shoulders. He had seen much in his lifetime joy, sorrow, love, and loss and he knew the weight of regret when he saw it. One evening, as the two men sat together under the sprawling branches of the old mopane tree, Mkhulu turned to his son, his expression serious.



Mkhulu:  “Sipho, you had a family, and you decided to be alone. These things used to happen in our culture way back. If a brother was failing to give his wife a child, the family would intervene and ask a family member to help, without the groom knowing. It was a family secret. People these days are very noisy. Look now, you left everything.”


he began, his voice low and measured, Sipho’s chest tightened at his father’s words. They were not spoken in anger or judgment, but with a quiet sadness that cut deeper than any rebuke. He stared at the ground, his hands clasped tightly together, as if trying to hold onto something that was already slipping away.




Sipho: “I know, Baba, I know I made a mistake. But I was hurt. I felt betrayed.”


he said finally, his voice barely above a whisper. Mkhulu nodded, his eyes filled with understanding.


Mkhulu: “Pain is a part of life, my son. But it is how we respond to that pain that defines us. You let your pride and anger cloud your judgment. You forgot what truly matters your family.”


Sipho felt the weight of his father’s words settle over him like a heavy blanket. He had been so consumed by his own hurt that he had failed to see the bigger picture. Thandiwe had not acted out of malice or deceit; she had done what she believed was best for their family. And he, in his stubbornness, had pushed her away.


Sipho: “What can I do, Baba?, How do I make things right?”


Sipho asked, his voice filled with desperation. Mkhulu placed a hand on his son’s shoulder, his touch firm and reassuring. 


Mkhulu: “You must humble yourself, Sipho. Admit your mistakes and ask for forgiveness. Not just from Thandiwe, but from yourself as well. You cannot move forward if you are still carrying the weight of the past.”



Sipho nodded, his heart aching with the truth of his father’s words. He had spent so long blaming others for his pain that he had forgotten to look inward. It was time to take responsibility for his actions and make amends. The days that followed were a blur of introspection and self-reflection. Sipho spent hours walking through the village, the familiar paths now feeling foreign and empty. He visited the river where he and Thandiwe used to sit, talking and laughing as the sun set over the water. 




He stood in the fields where they had worked side by side, their hands calloused but their hearts full. Everywhere he went, he was reminded of the life they had built together and the life he had thrown away. One evening, as he sat alone in the dim light of the homestead, Sipho made a decision. He would go to Johannesburg and find Thandiwe. He would apologise for his mistakes and ask for her forgiveness. He didn’t know if she would take him back, but he owed it to her and to himself to try. The journey to Johannesburg was long and arduous, the bustling city a stark contrast to the quiet village he had left behind. Sipho felt out of place among the towering buildings and crowded streets, but he pressed on, driven by a determination he hadn’t felt in years.



He had no idea where to find Thandiwe, but he was willing to search every corner of the city if it meant a chance to make things right. After days of searching, Sipho finally found himself standing outside a modest apartment building in a quiet neighbourhood. His heart pounded in his chest as he climbed the stairs, each step bringing him closer to the moment he had both dreaded and longed for. When he reached the door, he hesitated, his hand hovering over the knocker. Taking a deep breath, he rapped on the door, the sound echoing in the hallway. The door opened, and there she was Thandiwe. She looked different, her face glowing with a confidence and peace he hadn’t seen in years. For a moment, they simply stared at each other, the weight of their shared history hanging in the air between them. 


Thandiwe: “Sipho, what are you doing here?”


Thandiwe said finally, her voice filled with surprise. Sipho swallowed hard, his throat dry. 

Sipho: “I came to see you, Thandiwe. To apologise.” 


Thandiwe’s expression softened, but she remained guarded. Sipho followed her into the apartment, his eyes taking in the cozy space that felt so different from the home they had shared. The twins were there, their faces lighting up with excitement when they saw him. 



“Baba!” they exclaimed, rushing to hug him. Sipho’s heart swelled with love as he held them close, their warmth a balm to his aching soul.


Sipho: “I’ve missed you so much,” he whispered, his voice choked with emotion.


When the twins finally pulled away, Thandiwe gestured for Sipho to sit. The air in Thandiwe’s apartment was thick with tension as Sipho sat across from her, his hands clasped tightly together. The twins had gone to their room, leaving the two adults to talk in private. Thandiwe could see the pain in Sipho’s eyes, the regret etched into every line of his face. She had always known this moment would come, but now that it was here, she felt a mix of emotions relief, sadness, and a lingering sense of responsibility. Sipho had poured his heart out, apologising for his mistakes and expressing his desire to make things right. Thandiwe listened quietly, her heart aching for the man she had once loved. But she knew that things had changed she had changed. And there was something she needed to tell him, something that would change everything. 


Thandiwe: “Sipho, I appreciate your apology, and I’m glad you came. But there’s something you need to know.”


she began, her voice steady but filled with emotion, Sipho looked at her, his eyes filled with hope and fear.


Sipho:  “What is it, Thandiwe?,  I’m with Bongani now. He’s been a part of our lives for a while, and he’s been there for me and the twins in ways I can’t even begin to explain. We’re building a life together.”



She took a deep breath, her heart pounding in her chest. The words hung in the air between them, heavy and final. Sipho’s face fell, the hope in his eyes replaced by a deep, aching sadness. He looked down at his hands, his shoulders slumping as if the weight of her words had physically crushed him. 



Sipho: “Bongani?, how… how did this happen?”


he repeated, his voice barely above a whisper. Thandiwe’s heart ached for him, but she knew she had to be honest. 


Thandiwe: “He came to Johannesburg a few months ago. He got a job here, and we reconnected. He’s been a constant support for me and the twins, and over time, our relationship grew into something more.”


Sipho nodded slowly, his mind struggling to process the information. 


Sipho: “I see, I guess I was too late.”


he said finally, his voice hollow. Thandiwe reached out, placing a hand on his arm. 


Thandiwe: “Sipho, I don’t say this to hurt you. I say it because you deserve the truth. Bongani has been good to us, and he’s become an important part of our lives. But that doesn’t mean I don’t care about you.” 


Sipho looked up at her, his eyes filled with tears. 


Sipho: “I just… I thought there was still a chance for us. I thought if I came here, if I apologised, we could start over.”  


Thandiwe’s heart broke at the raw pain in his voice. 


Thandiwe: “I’m sorry, Sipho. I truly am. But I’ve moved on. And I need you to understand that.”

There was a long silence as Sipho absorbed her words. Finally, he nodded, his shoulders slumping in defeat. 


Sipho: “I understand, I just… I wish things had been different.”


he said quietly. 




Thandiwe: “So do I, but we can’t change the past. All we can do is move forward.”


Thandiwe replied, her voice soft. Sipho looked at her, his eyes filled with a mixture of sadness and resignation. 


Sipho: “And what about the twins? Will I still be able to see them?” 


Thandiwe nodded. 


Thandiwe: “Of course. You’re their father, and they love you. I would never keep them from you. We’ll figure out a way to make it work.” 


Sipho managed a small, grateful smile. 


Sipho: “Thank you, Thandiwe. That means a lot.” 


They sat there for a while, the silence between them heavy but not uncomfortable. Finally, Sipho stood, his movements slow and deliberate. 


Sipho: “I should go, I’ve taken up enough of your time.”


he said. Thandiwe stood as well, walking him to the door. 


Thandiwe: “Take care of yourself, Sipho. And if you ever need anything, you know where to find me.” 



Sipho nodded, his eyes filled with a quiet determination. 


Thandiwe: “I will. And… thank you, Thandiwe. For being honest with me.” 


As he walked out the door and down the hallway, Thandiwe felt a mix of emotions relief, sadness, and a lingering sense of closure. She knew that this conversation had been necessary, but it didn’t 


make it any easier. Sipho had been a part of her life for so long, and letting go of that chapter was painful, even if it was the right thing to 



do. She closed the door and leaned against it, taking a deep breath. The twins peeked out from their room, their faces filled with curiosity. 


Naledi: “Is Baba gone?” 


Naledi asked, her voice soft. Thandiwe nodded, forcing a smile. 


Thandiwe: “Yes, he’s gone. But he’ll be back to visit you soon.” 


Luyanda looked at her, his expression serious. 


Luyanda: “Are you okay, Mama?” 


Thandiwe’s heart swelled with love for her children. 


Thandiwe: “I’m okay, my darlings. Everything is going to be okay.” 


As she hugged them close, Thandiwe felt a sense of peace settle over her. The road ahead would not be easy, but she was ready to face it with Bongani by her side and the love of her children to guide her. For Thandiwe, this was the beginning of a new chapter one filled with love, hope, and the promise of a brighter tomorrow. And as she stood there, surrounded by the people she loved most, she knew that the best was yet to come.











Comments