Chapter 18: Family Man
Life with three newborns was nothing short of a whirlwind. From sunrise to sunset, every moment was packed with feeds, diaper changes, cries, and cuddles. And yet, in the middle of the chaos, I found myself watching Sandile in awe. He had always been my partner, my equal, my rock but now, as a father, he was nothing short of extraordinary.
One morning, I groaned as I tried to settle two crying babies while Sandile prepared for a site meeting.
Nomusa: “Sandile, can you… maybe take one while I finish with the other two?”
He scooped up Kwezi, cradling the tiny body with ease.
Sandile: “Of course, my love. Don’t worry, I got this.”
I watched him bounce the baby gently on his chest, singing softly in a low voice I hadn’t known he had. The crying softened, then stopped, and I felt a pang of gratitude. This was the man I had married patient, strong, loving.
Later that afternoon, as I changed a diaper on the living room floor, Sandile walked in with a laptop tucked under one arm and a burp cloth over his shoulder.
Sandile: “Alright, team meeting in five. But first, feeding time for the triplets!”
Nomusa: “Team meeting? Sandile, you’re holding one, the other is screaming, and you’re in a suit!”
Sandile chuckled, leaning down to kiss my forehead.
Sandile: “Nomusa, if I can negotiate contracts, I can negotiate with a baby. Watch and learn.”
I laughed, shaking my head, as he expertly calmed the crying infant with a mix of humming and playful faces. Our little one’s eyes widened, then a tiny giggle escaped, and my heart melted.
Nomusa: “I swear, sometimes I think the babies love you more than me.”
Sandile grinned, still balancing laptop and baby like a pro.
Sandile: “Impossible. But I’ll take it. Team Dad reporting for duty.”
Evenings were a different rhythm. I would feed one baby while Sandile prepared bottles for the others. He’d hum softly, making faces at the triplets until they squealed with delight, and then he’d whisper to me:
Sandile: “Nomusa, I can’t believe this is our life. I’ve never felt prouder, never felt more… complete.”
Nomusa: “Me neither… even on the craziest days, seeing you with them, I know we can handle anything.”
Our home was chaotic burp cloths strewn across the couch, baby clothes drying on every surface, three tiny cribs side by side but it was alive with love. And through it all, Sandile balanced being a father and a husband with his work. Even during site meetings, he would video call to check on feedings or to ask me about schedules.
Sandile: “Nomusa, how’s the little boss today?”
Nomusa (Laughing): “The one with the blue blanket? He just threw up again. I think he’s claiming victory.”
Sandile: “Victory or not, I’ll be home soon. You rest, my love. I’ll take over the next shift.”
And in those moments, I realised: this was what a true family man looked like. Devoted, patient, loving, and willing to juggle every challenge without complaint. The triplets had not just brought joy into our lives they had revealed a deeper side of Sandile, one that filled me with admiration and gratitude every single day.
Life was busy. Life was messy. Life was chaotic. But as I watched him soothe one baby while answering emails on his phone, I knew one thing for certain: with Sandile, our family could weather anything.
Comments
Post a Comment