Advertisement

Chapter 17: Triple Blessings

 


The day of our second scan started like any other, but deep down, I had a feeling something was different. Sandile held my hand tightly in the waiting room, his eyes calm, but I could feel the tension radiating from him or maybe that was just mine.

Nomusa: “Do you think… everything will be okay?” I asked softly, trying to steady my voice.

Sandile squeezed my hand.
Sandile: “Everything will be more than okay, my love. Whatever comes, we’ll handle it. Together.”

When the ultrasound began, I watched the screen in awe. First, the familiar little heartbeat I had grown to love. Then, another. And another. My heart skipped a beat, my stomach dropped, and I could feel tears pricking at my eyes.

Nomusa: “Sandile… there’s… there’s three.”

He blinked, shock freezing his features for a moment before a huge grin broke across his face.
Sandile: “Three?! That’s… wow. Three little miracles. Nomusa… this is incredible!”

I laughed, but it was shaky, filled with a mixture of awe and anxiety.
Nomusa: “Three… Sandile. How are we going to manage three babies? I’m a first-time mom I can barely handle one!”

He leaned over and pressed his forehead against mine.
Sandile: “We’ll hire extra help. We’ll get babysitters. And… your mom will help too, right?”

On the drive home, the shock hadn’t worn off. My hands rested over my stomach protectively as Sandile talked about cribs and strollers. Already, we were sketching out a future that suddenly felt much bigger than we’d planned.

That night, we sat in the living room planning. My mind raced, imagining three tiny lives depending on me all at once.
Nomusa: “I… I don’t know if I can do this. Three babies, Sandile. How do people even manage?”

He chuckled softly, brushing my hair behind my ear.
Sandile: “Nomusa, breathe. We’ll move slowly. We’ll hire help. And you’re stronger than you think. You’ve handled so much already. This? We’ll handle together.”

As the months passed, we prepared for the arrival of the triplets. I spent hours nesting, organising the nursery, picking tiny outfits, and coordinating schedules with the babysitters we had hired. When my mom heard the news, she didn’t hesitate she moved in for the final months. Her presence was a comfort, a reassurance that I wasn’t alone.

Mom: “Nomusa, my darling, you will be fine. Three at once? We’ll take it step by step. You rest, you eat, and I will handle the rest.”

Nomusa: “Mama… I just… I’m scared. What if I can’t do it?”

Mom laughed softly, brushing my hand.
Mom: “Oh, child, fear is normal. But look at you, you’ve faced life’s storms before. Three little blessings? You’ll love them fiercely, and we’ll help every step of the way.”

The months blurred into a rhythm of preparation until, finally, the day arrived. Labor was intense, every contraction testing my endurance. Sandile held my hand through it all, whispering encouragement, wiping my sweat, and telling me how proud he was of me.

Sandile: “Nomusa… you are incredible. I’ve never been more proud. One step at a time, my love. We’re almost there.”

Hours later, the cries of three newborns filled the delivery room. My heart swelled beyond comprehension. Tears streamed down my face as I held them tiny fingers curling around mine, eyes barely open but full of life. Two girls, Nomalanga and Khwezi, and one boy, Langa.

Nomusa: “Sandile… they’re perfect. Three perfect little humans.”

Sandile, eyes wet with emotion, kissed my forehead.
Sandile: “We did it… we made it, Nomusa. I love you.”

In the following days, with my mom’s guidance, I learned the rhythms of triple life feeding, diaper changes, naps, and cuddles. The house was chaotic, noisy, and full of love. Every time I felt overwhelmed, I’d look at Sandile’s face or hear my mom’s reassuring words, and I knew we could do this together.

Mom: “Nomusa, remember, one step at a time. You are doing beautifully. We’ll get through these first weeks, and soon… you’ll be a pro at this.”

Nomusa: “Thank you, Mama. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

And as I watched Sandile cradle the third little one, all three bundled in his arms, I realised something profound: love multiplies, even in the most unexpected ways. Three little lives, three little blessings and our hearts had grown to hold them all.



Comments