Chapter 15: An Unexpected Blessing
The boardroom was alive that morning, buzzing with restless energy. Papers shuffled, laptops clicked, and voices tangled in debates about numbers, deadlines, and projections. I sat at the head of the table, steady and composed, determined to make my point. Speaking with authority came naturally to me now, but even as the words left my mouth, I suddenly felt a strange wave wash over me.
Dizziness.
The walls seemed to tilt, and my stomach twisted sharply. My voice faltered. I gripped the edge of the polished oak table for strength, willing myself not to collapse in front of everyone. With a calmness I barely felt inside, I excused myself quickly. I could feel their eyes following me, but I kept my posture firm until I reached the hallway.
The restroom was silent, almost too silent. I leaned over the sink, staring at a pale reflection I barely recognised. My forehead glistened with sweat. I whispered to myself, “Just stress. That’s all.”
The door creaked open. In walked Sis Florence, the cleaner with a smile that always carried warmth. She paused, studied me for only a moment, and then said with quiet certainty:
Sis Florence: “Morning sickness.”
Her words stunned me. She wet a paper towel and handed it to me with such gentleness that I couldn’t help but take it. I shook my head quickly, almost defensively.
Nomusa: “No. I’m not pregnant. Just stress… too much on my plate.”
She chuckled softly, eyes twinkling with the wisdom of a woman who had seen much in her lifetime.
Sis Florence: “Mam, I’ve seen this before many times. You’re carrying. If you don’t believe me, buy a test on your way home.”
Her words clung to me all day like an echo I couldn’t silence. I finished my presentation flawlessly, at least from the outside, but my thoughts weren’t in that room anymore. They were tangled in the possibility Sis Florence had placed before me.
Driving home through Johannesburg’s busy streets felt endless. Every red light seemed to last forever, every honk from impatient drivers louder than usual. Finally, I pulled into a pharmacy. The small box slipped into a discreet paper bag, but in my hands, it felt as heavy as any contract I had ever signed.
That evening, our new suburban home was quiet, almost sacred. The faint scent of fresh paint and polished wood carried the promise of beginnings. In the bathroom, I sat still, holding my breath as the seconds dragged on.
When the result appeared, my hands shook. My eyes blurred with tears I couldn’t hold back. I whispered his name. “Sandile…”
He rushed in, worry written across his face. But the moment his eyes fell on the little lines, everything changed. His expression lit up with pure, unfiltered joy, and I saw a side of him I had never seen before.
He pulled me into his arms, and together we laughed, cried, and held each other tightly. In that moment, nothing else mattered not the endless deadlines, not the demanding contracts, not even the ghosts of our past.
We were going to be parents.
Inside me was life fragile, miraculous, and beautiful. A new chapter for us, a symbol of love, resilience, and the fresh beginning we had fought so hard to build.
Comments
Post a Comment