Advertisement

Chapter 15: Bongani’s Arrival

 



The morning sun streamed through the glass windows of the marketing firm’s lobby, casting a warm glow over the sleek, modern space. Thandiwe walked in, her heels clicking against the polished floor, her mind already racing with the day’s tasks. She had a presentation to prepare, a client meeting in the afternoon, and a mountain of emails to respond to. But as she stepped into the lobby, her thoughts came to an abrupt halt. There, standing near the reception desk, was Bongani. Her breath caught in her throat. He looked different dressed in a crisp white shirt and tailored trousers, his hair neatly trimmed, his posture confident. But his smile was the same, warm and familiar, lighting up his face as he turned to see her. For a moment, the world seemed to stand still.


Thandiwe: “Bongani? What are you doing here?”


she said, her voice barely above a whisper. He stepped forward, his eyes twinkling with excitement. 


Bongani: “I got a job here, I couldn’t stay in the village, not after everything that happened. I needed a fresh start too.”

he said, his voice steady but filled with emotion. Thandiwe felt a rush of emotions joy, fear, surprise, and a flicker of hope. Bongani’s presence was a reminder of the past, of the life she had left behind, but it also offered the possibility of a new beginning. They had shared so much laughter, dreams, heartache and now, here he was, stepping into her new world.


Thandiwe: “I… I didn’t know you were coming, how did this happen?”





she stammered, her mind racing. Bongani chuckled, a sound that was both comforting and unsettling.


Bongani: “I applied for a position here a few weeks ago. I didn’t want to say anything until I knew for sure. I didn’t want to get your hopes up or mine.” 


Thandiwe nodded, still trying to process the situation.


Thandiwe: “What position did you get?” 


Bongani: “I’m in the IT department, I’ll be working on the company’s systems and software. It’s a good opportunity, and I’m excited to be here.”


he replied. She smiled, though her heart was still pounding. 


Thandiwe: “That’s great, Bongani. I’m happy for you.” 


He looked at her, his expression softening.


Bongani: “And I’m happy to be here, Thandiwe. I’ve missed you.” 


The words hung in the air between them, heavy with unspoken meaning. Thandiwe felt a lump rise in her throat. She had missed him too more than she cared to admit. But their relationship was complicated, tangled up in the past and the choices they had made. Seeing him here, in her new life, was both a gift and a challenge. 


Thandwe: “We should catch up, there’s a lot to talk about.”


she said finally, her voice steady. Bongani nodded.


Bongani: “I’d like that. Maybe after work?” 


Thandiwe: “Yes, there’s a café down the street. We can meet there.”




Bongani: “Perfect, I’ll see you then.”


he said, his smile returning. As Thandiwe walked to her desk, her mind was a whirlwind of thoughts. Bongani’s arrival was unexpected, but it also felt inevitable. They had always been connected, their lives intertwined in ways that neither of them could fully explain. Now, here he was, stepping into her world once again. The day passed in a blur. Thandiwe threw herself into her work, determined to stay focused, but her thoughts kept drifting back to Bongani. She wondered how he was settling in, what he thought of the city, and what his presence would mean for her and the twins. By the time the workday ended, she was both eager and anxious to see him. The café was cozy, with soft lighting and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee filling the air. Thandiwe spotted Bongani at a corner table, his face lighting up as she approached. She sat down across from him, feeling a mix of emotions nervousness, curiosity, and a deep sense of connection.


Thandiwe:  “How was your first day?”


 she asked, breaking the ice.

Bongani: “It was good, everyone seems nice, and the work is interesting. It’s a big change from the village, but I think I’ll adjust.”


he replied. Thandiwe nodded. 


Thandiwe: “It takes time, but you’ll get used to it. The city can be overwhelming at first, but it grows on you.”

Bongani smiled. 


Bongani: “I can see why you like it here. There’s so much energy, so much possibility.” 


They talked for hours, catching up on everything that had happened since they last saw each other. Bongani told her about his decision to leave the village, his struggles to find work, and his determination to start over. Thandiwe shared her own journey her challenges as a single mother, her struggles to rebuild her career, and her hopes for 




the future. As the evening wore on, the conversation turned to more personal matters.


Bongani: “How are the twins?” 


Bongani asked, his voice gentle. 


Thandiwe: “They’re doing well, they’ve adjusted to the city better than I expected. Luyanda is thriving in school, and Naledi has made so many friends. They’re happy.” 


Thandiwe replied. Bongani nodded, his expression thoughtful.


Bongani: “I’m glad to hear that. They’re strong kids, just like their mother.” 


Thandiwe felt a warmth spread through her chest.


Thandiwe: “Thank you, Bongani. That means a lot.” 


There was a pause, and then Bongani spoke again, his voice soft but earnest. 


Bongani: “Thandiwe, I know things between us are complicated. But I want you to know that I’m here for you and the twins. Whatever you need, I’m here.” 


Tears welled up in Thandiwe’s eyes, but she blinked them away. 

Thandiwe: “Thank you, Bongani. That means more than you know.” 





As they left the café and walked out into the cool night air, Thandiwe felt a sense of peace. Bongani’s arrival was unexpected, but it also felt like a gift a chance to reconnect, to heal, and to move forward. The road ahead was uncertain, but for the first time in a long time, she felt like she wasn’t alone. The city buzzed around them, its lights twinkling like stars. Thandiwe took a deep breath, feeling a renewed sense of hope. Whatever the future held, she was ready to face it with Bongani by her side. For Thandiwe, this was more than a fresh start. It was a chance to rewrite her story, to build a life filled with love, hope, and possibility. And as she walked home that night, she knew that the best was yet to come.
















Comments