Advertisement

Chapter 14: Foundations of a New Life

 



The call came one afternoon, I had been chasing it for months, putting in the hours, rewriting proposals, meeting with stakeholders, knocking on doors that so often closed in my face. I had prayed for this moment, sacrificed sleep for strategy, and carried the weight of rejection after rejection. But on that day, the words on the other end of the line finally set my soul alight.

Nkosi Construction our company had been awarded the biggest contract in its five-year history. A massive housing development project, stretching over years.

I remember gripping the edge of the kitchen counter, my heart pounding as I whispered the news to Sandile. His eyes widened, disbelief giving way to pride. But I knew the truth of it. This victory hadn’t fallen into our laps it had been fought for, tooth and nail, in boardrooms where my voice was often overlooked, in late nights where I refined every detail until it was flawless.

That contract was more than money; it was security, validation, and undeniable proof that I was the backbone of this company. All the sleepless nights, the sacrifices, the relentless determination it was my fingerprints that made it possible. The dream Sandile and I had once whispered about quietly, brick by brick, was finally materialising before our eyes, and I had laid those bricks.

With the steady income secured, we took a leap we had only whispered about in quiet moments. We left the crowded streets of the township the very streets that had shaped us, taught us resilience, and tested us in ways only we could understand. We moved into a modest but beautiful suburb in Johannesburg. For the first time, there was a garden of our own, a front gate we could close behind us, and a home we proudly paid for, month after month. Every brick of that house felt like a reward, a tangible testament to my persistence, my work, my refusal to give up when giving up would have been easier.


Nkosi Construction found a home too. We rented a small office space, just a short drive from our house. Walking in that first day, seeing the company’s name proudly displayed on the door, I felt a rush of awe and gratitude. I remembered our dining room table, scattered with papers and plans, where I had pushed past Sandile’s doubts, fought for each proposal, sometimes arguing, sometimes laughing, always dreaming. And now, here we were a real office, buzzing with employees, plans, and the electric hum of possibility.

I paused at the window, looking out over the streets of our new neighbourhood. Our life was finally beginning to reflect the dreams I had carried like fragile glass, protected through storms, nurtured through silence. And yet, deep inside, I knew dreams this big always come with a price. There would be challenges ahead, long hours, difficult decisions. But somehow, standing there, I felt ready.

This wasn’t just a move. This was my foundation. Not just for the company, not just for the home we were building, but for the life I was shaping with my own hands, my own vision, my own will. Every choice, every struggle, every sacrifice had led to this. And I was ready to embrace it, heart and soul.









Comments