Advertisement

Chapter 2: The Man Who Collected Ghosts




I’ve met dangerous men before. I’ve met men who smile while they are lying to your face. I’ve met men who threaten your life without ever raising their voice. I’ve met men who make you feel like you have already lost before the game even begins. But I had never met a man like this. The SUV did not move. The engine purred softly beneath me, but it did not feel like it was transporting a runaway thief. It felt like it was transporting property.

The phone in my hand was still warm from the last call. I stared at the dark screen, waiting for everything to make sense. It didn't. Outside the tinted windows, the city disappeared into the complete darkness of an underground tunnel. There were no sirens here. There were no police. There was no life I recognised at all. There was only a heavy silence that felt completely planned and controlled.

"Where are we going?" I asked aloud.

 The driver spoke from the front seat without looking back.

"Somewhere safe."

I almost laughed. Safe was a word people used when they wanted you to stop asking questions.

We drove for twenty minutes, maybe thirty. Time felt unreliable now. Eventually, the SUV slowed down and turned into a private underground entrance. A massive steel gate opened without hesitation. They were expecting us. That fact alone made my stomach tighten with anxiety.

We descended deeper into the earth than I thought possible for a city building. Then, finally, the vehicle stopped.

The rear door was pulled open from the outside. Cold air hit my skin.

"Out," the driver said.

I hesitated. I was not frozen by fear; I was calculating. This was not a random rescue by a helpful stranger. This was a massive, organized system. And systems always had rules.

I stepped out of the vehicle. The place looked like a luxurious private lounge buried deep inside the earth. The floors were made of polished black marble that reflected the soft golden lighting above. Security cameras watched from every single corner. Men in dark suits stood completely still against the walls like statues.

At the center of it all stood a giant glass wall. Behind it was a private office, and inside that office sat a man.

He did not look up immediately when I arrived. He was reading a document inside a folder. He looked calm, composed, and completely unbothered by the fact that I had just been pulled out of a police trap. To him, I was nothing more than a scheduled delivery that had arrived on time.

Then, he closed the file. He looked up and stared directly at me.

That was when I felt it. It was not fear exactly, but a cold shock of recognition. I realized that my entire life had just been filed away into this man's system, under a category I did not understand yet.

He stood up. He was tall, controlled, and looked expensive in a way that money alone could not explain. He was not flashy or loud. He just carried an absolute certainty—the look of a man who never doubted his next move.

He walked out of the glass room. His security team did not follow him. They did not need to. He stopped just a few steps in front of me. His eyes studied my face like I was a math problem he had already solved halfway.

"Lila Vasquez," he said.

Hearing my real name out loud again made my skin tighten.

"You are either very brave," he continued, "or very stupid."

"I prefer to call myself adaptable," I replied, forcing my voice to sound brave.

There was a faint pause. The corner of his mouth twitched, almost like a smile. Almost.

"I am Ethan Blackwell," he said.

So this was him. The voice on the phone. The architect who had engineered my sudden survival.

He began to circle me slowly. He did not do it like a predator chasing prey. He did it like a collector inspecting a rare piece of art.

"You have been very difficult to track, Miss Vasquez," he said.

"I am flattered."

"You should not be."

His tone stopped my sarcasm instantly. He stopped walking and stood right in front of me again.

"Do you know what I do, Miss Vasquez?"

"I have no idea."

"I collect problems."

Something about the calm way he said those words made my throat tighten.

"Problems do not usually like being collected," I said.

"They do not get a choice."

A heavy silence stretched between us. Behind him, one of the suited men walked over to a marble table and placed a photograph on it. Ethan did not look back at the photo. He did not need to.

"I assume you know Marcus Reed," Ethan said softly.

My heart skipped a beat. Once. Then again.

The photograph was slid across the table toward me. I did not want to look at it, but my eyes forced me to.

It was Marcus. He was badly bruised, covered in cuts, and barely conscious. But he was alive. For now.

My stomach dropped so hard that I felt a sudden weakness in my knees. I looked away from the photo and stared at Ethan.

"What do you want?" I asked. This time, my voice was not steady at all.

Ethan finally picked up the photograph. He studied Marcus's beaten face like it meant absolutely nothing to him.

"It is simple," Ethan said. "You are going to get close to a man named Julian Thorne."

The name meant nothing to me yet. But the way Ethan spoke it gave me chills. It carried a heavy weight of danger and history.

"And then what?" I asked.

Ethan looked up from the photo. For the first time, something much sharper and darker entered his expression.

"You are going to destroy him."

He placed the photograph back down on the table. He did it carefully, as if the future was already decided and there was nothing I could do to change it.

"And if I refuse?" I asked.

There was a short pause. Then Ethan leaned slightly closer to me. He did not sound threatening, which made it worse. He just sounded completely certain.

"If you refuse, then Marcus starts disappearing piece by piece."

The entire room went dead silent. Even the security cameras on the walls felt louder. I stared at him, trying to find some flash of emotion. I looked for any crack in his armor, anything human at all. There was absolutely nothing.

"You are insane," I said quietly.

Ethan finally smiled. It was not a warm or kind smile. It was the look of a man who had heard that insult many times before.

"Maybe," he said. "But I am also the only reason you are not sitting in a prison cell right now."

He stepped back and straightened the front of his dark suit jacket. He turned away from me as if our conversation was already finished.

"One more thing, Lila."

I did not answer him. I couldn't.

He paused right at the glass door of his office and looked back over his shoulder.

"You do not get to choose whether you take this job," he said. He waited a beat. "You only get to choose how badly you fail if you refuse to cooperate."

The glass door slid shut behind him, leaving me completely alone.

Marcus’s beaten face was still burning vividly in my mind. And alongside it was that new name I did not understand: Julian Thorne.

Somewhere out there in the world, a man I had never met had just become the center of my ruin. And I had no idea why.

Comments