Chapter 3: The Forty-Eight Hour Clock
They gave me a room. That is what they called it, anyway. A room. But it felt much more like a controlled absence of the outside world. There were no windows that opened to let in fresh air. There was no cell phone signal. There were no mirrors on the walls that showed anything useful. There were only solid white walls, a small bed that had never known comfort, and a heavy locked door. That door only opened when someone on the other side decided I was allowed to exist again.
I sat on the edge of the mattress for a very long time. I was thinking deeply. I was not thinking about escape, at least not yet. Escape was a luxury I could not afford at the moment. Right now, I was simply trying to understand the exact shape of this trap.
Ethan Blackwell. Julian Thorne. Marcus Reed. Those were three names now sitting inside my life like unexploded bombs.
I exhaled slowly and forced myself to focus. If Marcus was still alive, it meant Ethan needed me to be compliant. He did not want me broken, and he did not want me dead. He wanted me controlled. That realization was useful to me. Useful meant exploitable. And exploitable meant survivable.
The door lock clicked suddenly. I did not move from the bed. A metal tray slid through the narrow gap at the bottom of the door. Food and water sat on the tray, along with a thin black folder placed neatly on top like an insult. The door locked shut again immediately.
I waited a full minute before I stood up and touched the tray. Then, I picked up the folder and opened it.
Inside were documents. There were too many of them, and they were neatly arranged. They were organized like someone expected me to read every single page carefully. At the very top of the first page was a single line printed in bold letters: SUBJECT: JULIAN THORNE.
So this was it. This was my target.
I leaned my back against the cold wall and started reading through the pages. At first, the information was exactly what I expected to see. Julian Thorne was a billionaire, an investor, and a man with massive real estate holdings. He controlled a technology empire and held a lot of influence in business sectors that did not like being named. He looked completely clean on paper. In fact, he looked too clean. In my line of work, that was always the first warning sign of trouble.
But the deeper I went into the files, the colder the information became. I read about security contractors who did not exist on any official government records. I saw companies registered under multiple layers of shell identities to hide the true owner. There were political donations that seemed completely random until you studied them closely and noticed the hidden pattern.
And then, I found the disappearances.
They were not listed directly on the pages. A man like Thorne would never list them directly. They were just gaps in the records. There were employees who resigned from his companies suddenly and never appeared in any public system ever again. There were business partners who sold their shares overnight and vanished completely from public life. There were whistleblowers who had tried to expose his companies but stopped speaking altogether.
My fingers slowed down. Then, they stopped completely.
I flipped the page again, and then another, and another. Finally, one single line made everything inside my body go perfectly still.
LAST VERIFIED TRAITOR: STATUS UNKNOWN.
Below that line, it read: NO BODY. NO RANSOM. NO TRACE.
I stared at those words longer than I should have. I looked at them because I knew exactly how things like this worked in the real world. People did not just disappear into thin air. They were removed. They were removed cleanly and intentionally by professionals.
But this situation was different. This was control without any explanation. This was fear without any evidence.
I closed the black file slowly. For the first time since Ethan Blackwell had spoken my real name, I felt something other than anger or my usual survival instinct. I felt curiosity. And in my business, curiosity was incredibly dangerous.
I stood up and began to pace across the small room. I was counting my steps and listening closely for any outside sound. I was trying to map the layout of the building inside my head. There was no visible camera in the ceiling, but that meant nothing to me. Ethan did not need to watch my every move. He only needed to make me believe that he could see me.
The door opened again. I turned around instantly to face it.
A man entered the room. It was not Ethan Blackwell. This man was younger, he wore a sharper suit, and he had eyes that did not settle on any object for too long. He walked over to the small table and placed another folder down on it.
"Forty-eight hours," the young man said.
I frowned at him. "Forty-eight hours for what?"
He did not answer my question immediately. Instead, he glanced down at the first file about Julian Thorne. He looked annoyed that I had already started reading it.
"You have forty-eight hours," the man repeated, "before your leverage becomes completely irrelevant."
My stomach tightened instantly with fear. "You mean Marcus."
That comment got a reaction out of him. It was a very small reaction, but it was enough for me to notice.
"The clock is already running," the young man said. Then, he stepped closer to me and lowered his voice significantly. "You are not the only one who needs Marcus alive."
Silence filled the room. I studied his face very carefully.
"You work for Ethan," I said.
The man did not deny it, and his silence was answer enough for me.
"Tell Ethan that I need proof Marcus is still alive," I added firmly.
There was a short pause. Then, a faint smile appeared on the young man's face.
"You do not negotiate very well for a con artist," he said.
"I do not like being threatened," I replied.
The man tilted his head slightly as he looked at me. "Then you are really going to struggle here."
He turned around and left the room. The door locked loudly behind him.
And just like that, the forty-eight hours became very real to me.
I looked back down at the file on Julian Thorne. I looked at the missing names, the blank gaps in his history, and the deep silence that was disguised as normal business records. Somewhere out there in the city was a powerful man I had been ordered to destroy. But someone else had already erased human beings to protect that man, or perhaps to bury his secrets. I did not know which story was true yet.
But I knew one thing for certain. Nothing about this job was what it seemed to be on the surface, and I was already much too deep to walk away.
Comments
Post a Comment