Advertisement

Chapter 4: The Dress That Cost Everything



They didn’t give me time to think. That was the whole point, of course. Ethan’s world did not believe in reflection. It only believed in movement, pressure, and consequences that arrived long before understanding could catch up.

At exactly 6:03 p.m., the door unlocked. There was no warning and no explanation. It was just obedience demanded in total silence. The same younger man from before stood waiting outside in the hallway.

“Get ready,” he said.

“For what?” I asked, though I already knew I would not get a real answer.

“You have an hour.” He turned and walked away.

That was it. There were no detailed instructions, no reassurance, and no room for hesitation. I stood there for a brief moment, staring down the empty hallway. Then I moved, because people like Ethan did not give you clocks unless they intended to watch them run out.

Inside the next room, a dress was waiting for me. It was black, elegant, and expensive enough to buy a small apartment in any city I had ever lived in. Next to the fabric sat a small earpiece and a folded card. I picked up the card and read the words: CHARITY GALA. YOU ARE SOPHIA LAURENT TONIGHT.

Of course I was.

I changed into the dress without letting myself feel any emotion. Emotion was far too expensive in situations like this. Sophia Laurent returned to me easily. I assumed her French accent, her soft posture, and her quiet confidence. I became a woman who belonged in magnificent rooms she had never actually been invited to. Except this time, I did not truly feel like her. I felt borrowed.

The black SUV waited underground again. It was a different driver, but it was the exact same silence. We drove for less than fifteen minutes before the city changed completely around us. The lights became sharper, the buildings grew taller, and the air itself felt much richer.

The gala was already alive with motion when I arrived. Flash cameras blazed, and the laughing elites gathered together. These were men who shook hands like they were signing invisible contracts, and women who wore their immense wealth like a suit of armor.

I stepped out of the car and immediately felt eyes on me. The looks were not curious; they were measuring. I smiled anyway. Confidence was not real in this world. It was simply performed.

Inside, the grand hall was a cathedral of money. Crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling like frozen stars. Music drifted softly through the air, pretending that nothing violent ever happened in a place like this.

I adjusted the hidden earpiece. Static hissed in my ear, followed by Ethan’s cold voice. “Do not deviate.”

I almost rolled my eyes. “Charming greeting,” I whispered under my breath.

There was a short pause. “Julian Thorne is present,” Ethan said.

That sentence made my steps slow down for half a second. “Where?”

“Find him.”

Of course. Find him. Ethan spoke as if Julian was just something lost in a room full of predators and champagne.

I moved through the crowd carefully. Every smile I passed felt like a test I had not studied for. Then I saw him, and I understood immediately why his name carried so much weight. He was not doing anything special, but he did not need to. Julian Thorne stood near the far end of the hall, speaking quietly to a board member. He used no raised voice and no dramatic gestures. There was just a powerful stillness about him, a controlled presence. It felt like the room had unconsciously arranged itself around him. Even the laughter near him sounded quieter.

I stopped walking. Something in my chest tightened without my permission.

Ethan’s voice returned. “You see him?”

“Yes,” I said.

“Do not approach him yet.”

“I wasn’t planning to throw myself at him,” I muttered back.

There was a faint pause on the line. “I would strongly advise against improvisation.”

I almost smiled. Almost.

Suddenly, Julian turned his head slightly. For a brief second, his eyes met mine. The world did not freeze, but it narrowed down completely. Everything else in the crowded room faded into a loud noise that I could no longer interpret. Then he looked away, just like that, as if I had been nothing more than a temporary shift in the room's lighting.

My racing pulse did not agree with that conclusion. I forced myself to breathe normally. “Did he see me?” I asked quietly.

Ethan did not answer me immediately. Then he said, “Yes.”

That single word settled deep in my stomach like a heavy weight.

Julian excused himself from his conversation and began walking. He was not heading toward the exit. He was walking directly toward me. My body reacted before my mind could. I stepped back, reset my posture, smiled, and became Sophia. I strove to be anyone but myself.

He stopped right in front of me. He stood close enough that I could see the faint details of his expression. I did not see curiosity or attraction in his eyes. I saw assessment.

“You are not from here,” he said. It was not a question.

“Is it really that obvious?” I replied lightly, using my fake accent.

There was a pause. His steady gaze did not move away from my face. “No,” he said. “But you are out of place anyway.”

That statement should have been insulting, but it wasn't. Instead, it felt like dangerous exposure.

“I get that a lot,” I said.

“You shouldn't.”

A heavy silence stretched between us. Ethan’s voice crackled faintly in my ear. “Proceed.”

Julian’s eyes flicked briefly—just for a fraction of a second—to my hidden earpiece. My breath tightened in my throat. No, it was impossible. He could not have noticed it. But his next words confirmed everything I did not want to believe.

“You are being guided,” he said calmly. He was not accusing me. He was simply observing a fact.

My fake smile held, but something underneath it cracked completely. “I think you are mistaken,” I replied.

Julian studied me for a moment longer. Then he did something entirely unexpected. He nodded once. “Perhaps,” he said.

He reached into his jacket pocket and placed a folded card directly into my hand. My fingers tightened around it instinctively.

“What is this?” I asked.

“An invitation,” he said.

“To what?” I pressed.

His stern expression softened, barely. “To see who you really are when no one is watching.”

Then he stepped back, turned around, and walked away. Just like that, there was no further explanation, no pressure, and no pursuit.

I stood there frozen, holding the card like it might burn my skin. Ethan’s voice returned immediately. “Open it.”

I opened the paper. Inside, written in clean ink, were the words: JULIAN THORNE REQUESTS YOUR PRESENCE. TOMORROW. ALONE.

My breath slowed down. This was not part of the plan. But plans did not adapt; people did. And Julian Thorne was already adapting much faster than I was ready for.

Across the room, he looked back at me once. He did not look at the crowd, and he did not look at anyone else. He looked only at me.

And for the first time since this entire nightmare began, I was not sure who had just taken the first real step into whose game.

Comments