Chapter 5: The First Conversation
I did not sleep that night. I did not stay awake because I was unable to fall asleep, but rather because I actively refused to do so, knowing there is a distinct difference between the two states of mind. Sleep is a luxury meant for people who believe they are safe, and I had completely stopped believing in safety the absolute moment Ethan Blackwell uttered Marcus’s name like it was nothing more than leverage. Instead of resting, I sat quietly on the very edge of the mattress and stared down at the invitation Julian Thorne had sent me. It was a single card containing a single, chilling sentence that read, “JULIAN THORNE REQUESTS YOUR PRESENCE. TOMORROW. ALONE.” I turned the paper over in my hands again and again, searching for something hidden, but there was no second message or secret code to be found, only absolute certainty. It was clear to me that Ethan wanted total control, whereas Julian felt like he wanted true understanding, and that realization felt infinitely worse.
The door to my room unlocked at exactly 9:00 a.m. because they were always exceptionally punctual. The same younger man from before stood waiting for me in the doorway.
“You’re ready,” he said.
“I don’t remember agreeing to a schedule,” I replied.
“You’re still going,” he said simply.
That was the end of the discussion, leaving no room for debate and no possible exit. I changed into the specific dress they had provided for me, which was a dark navy outfit that was simple, clean, and precisely the kind of clothing that made people instantly forget the person wearing it. As I was being escorted out of the building, Ethan’s voice buzzed sharply in my ear, reminding me to remember my objective. I adjusted the earpiece slightly and muttered back to him.
“Destroy the billionaire. Smile politely. Commit emotional warfare.”
A heavy silence followed my words before Ethan’s voice cut back in.
“Do not improvise.”
His command almost made me laugh out loud.
The estate turned out to be far worse than I had originally expected, not because it was flashy or ostentatious, but because it was entirely controlled. Everything in my line of sight looked completely intentional with absolutely no space wasted, and that clinical precision made the entire property feel like a trap designed by someone who simply did not believe in accidents. The massive gates opened automatically before we even arrived at the perimeter, which did not surprise me at all. Julian Thorne was already waiting outside for my arrival, standing out on the cold stone steps rather than inside the doorway, looking exactly as though he had predicted the precise moment my car would pull up. He did not move a single inch as I approached him, choosing instead to just stand there and study me.
“You’re on time,” he said.
“I was told I didn’t have a choice,” I replied.
After a faint, calculated pause, he looked at me.
“Correct,” he said.
He turned around and walked toward the entrance.
“Come.”
I followed him closely as we moved through clean, completely silent corridors made of glass and stone that reflected absolute precision. There were no paintings on the walls, no artistic distractions, and no personal leaks whatsoever, creating an environment that was far too controlled. I decided to break the silence.
“I have to admit,” I said, “this isn’t how I expected this meeting to go.”
“And how did you expect it to go?” he asked.
“Interrogation. Surveillance. Threats.”
He glanced at me briefly as he walked.
“I don’t threaten people I haven’t decided are guilty.”
“You don’t know me,” I said.
“No,” he agreed. “But I’m learning.”
We entered his private study, which was a room filled with books, minimal design choices, and a massive desk that projected sheer authority rather than acting as mere furniture. Neither of us made a move to sit down, and a thick silence stretched out between us until he finally turned to face me directly.
“Who are you?” he asked.
I smiled lightly, offering him the fabricated identity.
“Sophia Laurent,” I said.
There was no reaction from him, and he did not even blink at the name.
“That’s not what I asked,” he said.
My fake smile stayed perfectly in place while Ethan’s voice cut into my ear.
“Stick to the identity.”
I tilted my head toward Julian, ignoring the buzz in my ear.
“You already think you know the answer,” I said.
Julian stepped closer to me with a movement that was not aggressive, but incredibly deliberate.
“I don’t want the answer I like,” he said quietly. “I want the truth.”
Hearing that word again made me exhale softly.
“Truth is expensive,” I remarked.
“I can afford it.”
His response made me pause in place while he continued to study my expression, searching for any fracture in my composure.
“What are you afraid of?” he asked.
There was no hidden trap or obvious manipulation in his delivery, as it felt like a genuinely sincere question. Ethan’s voice immediately warned me in my ear.
“Do not engage emotionally.”
But ignoring Julian entirely felt like lying to myself, so I chose my next words carefully.
“Getting caught,” I answered.
That statement was a calculated half-truth, and Julian nodded once as if he were physically storing the information away for later. I decided to push back, asking the question right back to him.
“And you? What are you afraid of?”
For the very first time, something visible shifted inside of him, which was not a sign of weakness, but rather the sudden intrusion of an old memory.
“I’m afraid of people who lie convincingly,” he said. After a heavy pause, he continued. “Because I can’t always tell when I’ve already lost.”
A suffocating silence fell over the room that felt neither safe nor entirely hostile, but rather like something tense in between. I knew deep down that I should have stopped the conversation right there, but my curiosity got the better of me.
“Do you think I’m lying to you?” I asked.
Julian looked at me with an intense, direct gaze.
“No,” he said. He paused, letting his eyes lock onto mine. “But I think you’re not alone in this room.”
My breath stopped completely in my throat because I knew exactly what he meant by those words. His gaze flicked briefly toward my ear before returning directly to my eyes.
“You’re being guided,” he said quietly.
It was stated as a cold fact, rather than a question. Ethan’s voice snapped violently in my ear.
“End the conversation.”
Julian noticed that micro-expression shift on my face without delay. He did not look surprised by my reaction, but rather looked completely confirmed in his theory.
“You’re not operating alone,” he said.
I stayed completely still because, for the first time since this mission began, I realized that Julian Thorne was not just observing my behavior. He was actively reading the entire system operating around me, and somewhere between Ethan’s rigid control and Julian’s terrifying awareness, I realized something truly horrifying, which was that I was no longer sure which one of them was actually in control of the game anymore.
Comments
Post a Comment